1979 North Star

It's too bad they were such a flash in the pan. I love their hornline sound, and the chrome wall was awesome as always. They also had some of the best soloists in DCI at that time. Why did they fold, and what corps picked up their members?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had this show for quite a while, i just recently started listening to it, love that opener.

I may be wrong, but from what I recall, North Star's demise came partially from money and member retention problems. Not sure who picked up their members, because by the time North Star folded, the 27th Lancers were having problems, too. I loved their '79 show. The drumline tied SCV for top drums that year. The tie-breaker was the GE caption, which SCV had the higher score, so the Top Drums award went to SCV.

The best executed snare ripple at DCI Finals? 1978

I remember that throughout that year we, The Cavaliers, were VERY determined to get back into finals and in the upper echelons of the activity…. where we belonged. At the beginning of the year our corp director made a list and he kept it up on our truck. The list included all the corps that beat us the previous year (we took 16th in 78). As we went through the season he crossed off all the corps that we now beat. This obviously was a good attempt to motivate us… and it worked. But, the one corp that we just could not catch up to was Northstar. In the middle of the season we were 10ths away from them. As we were doing calisthenics one day someone came up with a jogging chant of “we want Northstar!”. No disrespect. Just good old-fashioned competitiveness.

Well, we never caught them. They were just too good for us to catch. But, I can honestly say that they helped motivate us to make it back into performing on Finals night.

"North Star 1979":

I believe they won the CYO National Championship in 1979.

Elphaba

I remember that throughout that year we, The Cavaliers, were VERY determined to get back into finals and in the upper echelons of the activity?. where we belonged. At the beginning of the year our corp director made a list and he kept it up on our truck. The list included all the corps that beat us the previous year (we took 16th in 78). As we went through the season he crossed off all the corps that we now beat. This obviously was a good attempt to motivate us? and it worked. But, the one corp that we just could not catch up to was Northstar. In the middle of the season we were 10ths away from them. As we were doing calisthenics one day someone came up with a jogging chant of ?we want Northstar!?. No disrespect. Just good old-fashioned competitiveness.

Well, we never caught them. They were just too good for us to catch. But, I can honestly say that they helped motivate us to make it back into performing on Finals night.

I hate to open up a "can of worms" but you guys never beat us at any show until DCI prelims....so I fail to see why you were trying so hard to catch North Star when you had your hands full with other corps who consistantly beat you. I am proud to say we did beat North Star that year at the Denver show.....but it didn't help our fate on Aug. 17th 1979.

I remember "Northstah." I remember when a lot of them were the "Cahdnials" from Beverly. They were wicked friggin good!

Loved 'em.

Loved the Lancers too.

Now BAC gets all my love (I love BD and Madison too, I just don't tell anyone.)

How about them RED SOX!

Go SOX, GO STAH, GO BAHHSTON GO LANSAHS