O! Canada

uncle z

If DCI wants to have a show in Canada they can go right ahead.

Unfortunately, they don't see the ramifications of them not having a show up here.

If they don't think that we, the Canadian people, aren't worth having a show up here after we put 40,000 people in that Olympic stadium in '81........ It's their loss. Besides we want DRUM CORPS NOT MARCHING BANDS!!!!!

****Please excuse this post, it was made by a sentimental middle aged man who loves this activity and can't handle over twenty-eight years of change hit him all at

once. ****:sshh:

I know, DEAL WITH IT!!! I'm trying.

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sue, you need to do these trivia contests rather than I-- because you have a

better approach on clarity with the questions (the background info on #16 was

AWESOME!!).  However, sarnia sam scooped you timewise!!!

Well, heck, I had a meeting in Ottawa last night, so I didn't get back till about 11:30 p.m. And then I didn't check DCP till late this morning. Oh, well.

Re: the rifle line question, our repertoire in '78 was "Sir Lancelot and the Black Knight," "Hang Up Your Hang Ups/Hide & Seek" (Drum Solo), "Goodbye Yesterday," "King Herod's Song," "Black Magic Woman" and "Spanish Dreams." The rifle line didn't shed their regular uniform until "King Herod's Song."

Re: the stadium, I think that's the first time I've ever seen it identified as Molson Stadium. (Though it comes as no surprise that beer would be the inspiration for naming a Canadian stadium, LOL!) I even went back and checked my programs from Montreal, and they call it McGill Stadium. (I didn't go, but a friend of mine did, and she gave me all her DCI yearbooks and programs.) I've also seen it identified as McGill University Stadium.

Oh man, John...................

Drum line rehearsal after 6-7 Bradors was NOT in any way enjoyable. :silly:

And lucky me, I was #2 Bass Drum that year!!!!!

(Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam, OUCH! My head!!!)

uncle z

If DCI wants to have a show in Canada they can go right ahead.

Unfortunately, they don't see the ramifications of them not having a show up here.

If they don't think that we, the Canadian people, aren't worth having a show up here after we put 40,000 people in that Olympic stadium in '81........ It's their loss. Besides we want DRUM CORPS NOT MARCHING BANDS!!!!!

Maybe DCM or DCA will want to come up here instead!!!!!!!!

Must you always be condecending to DCI corps? Another example of you just being flat out disrespectful of what the members today do. But that's not the main reason I posted :P

I would imagine that getting that many kids across the border on buses would not be the most fun hassle that corps have had to deal with. I don't know the details of it, but I would imagine that with national security being as big of a deal as it is now that it wouldn't be simple matter to get 5 or 6 corps in and out of the country. Granted I'm sure it's not impossible, and it may be easier than I think, but that could have something to do with DCI's motives for not having Canadian shows.

dbc03

This was more out of frustration than anything else!!!

This is not disrespectful to the DCI corps members of today at all. I have stated in almost every post I've written that I support the members of today to the limit and if it came to picking sides against The powers and the kids, I'll take the kids side every time!!!

I know that coming across the border is no fun for any drum corps, I did it for

ten years and never had any problems.

I don't know if you get a yearly dose of DCI caliber corps where you live but we haven't had anything up for at least ten years. The closest we get is Buffalo.

It's not the members of the corps or the corps themselves that I'm ticked off

at AT ALL, it's DCI itself for not scheduling at ONE show a year in a country that has given so much to drum & bugle corps in the past and will in the future.

This is Drum Corps International right ? :(

Is that asking too much???? I don't think so. Do YOU? B)

Edited by Old Dutch Boy Cadet

John, after finding the recaps for '81 and '82 (www.fromthepressbox.com) here are the placements for the captions:

'81

M&M - 5th

Perc - 15th

Brass - 8th

GE - 4th

'82

M&M - 13th

Perc - 7th

Brass - 11th

GE - 21st

So '82 was a much better year for the percussion, but the other captions tanked, esp. GE.

OK, here's the answers so that the thread can be closed....congrats sarnia sam!!!!!

1. Whaley Royce Ltd.

2. Totonto Optimists

3. Preston Scout House

4. Toronto Optimists

5. Canadian Commanders

6. Sarnia, Ontario (OK, John what was the name changed to?)

7. Ottawa, Ontario

8. Shriner's International

9. Oakland Crusaders

10. Etobicoke Crusaders/De La Salle Oaklands

11. Seneca Princemen/Toronto Optimists

12. Flying Dutchmen/Dutch Boy Cadets

13. De La Salle

14. Tom Float

15. Seneca Optimists

16. see byline's history

17. L'Offensive Lions

18. Les Diplomates

19. 1979

20. Ventures

21. Dutch Boy Cadets

22. Canadian Knights/Peterborough

23. 16!!!!! 16!!!!!!

24. Molson Stadium/Mc Gill University Stadium

25. Connexion Quebec

26. Don Daber/Paul McCusker

--does anybody remembe the frenzy after 1981 DCI finals when it was announced that the subway would be closing down in 1/2 hour???

--Yes, Rob, I agree there should be a return of DCI Canada--why would it be called Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL if all the shows are in the US?? :silly:

--uncle z waits for someone from Quebec to point out his Ontario bias in this thread

6. Where were the Sertomanaires from?

Wow, I never heard of this corps. Is there any more information besides what is on corpreps.com and the York Lion's website?

Killing two birds with one stone,

The Sertomanaires were from Sarnia, Ontario. In the mid 60s they were a decent drum corps. They did Shriners at least once, maybe more. Great horn arrangements backed up by an awsome soloist, Doug Gibb, who was doing what Chris Metzger would do to make Madsion's horn line the wailing force it was in the 70s.

Steve, Norm Campbell was the drum instructor.

The Sertomanaires last season was 1968. The next year some alumni resurrected the corps as the Marching Diplomats (The Sertomanaires were known as Canada's Marching Diplomats in a subtitle kind of way).

Diplomats is the first corps I marched in. they folded in 1972. In 1973, the Lionettes (all girls) went co-ed giving the guys from Diplomats somewhere to march locally. The Lionettes became the Lionaires for one season, changing the name to Buccaneers in 1974.

Regards,

John

6.  Where were the Sertomanaires from?

the tough one, Sarnia, Ontario Q. What was the name changed to?

11.  Which two corps merged to form Seneca Optomists in 1976?

Seneca Princemen and Optimists

Q. Would did Seneca absorb in 1978?

I answered the first in the previous post.

The answer to the second question I posed is the Peterborough Krescendos, though it was officially called a merger.

Regards,

John Swartz