Info for the Red Carpet Association

Now you made me look  :P

RCA: J-burg came in 2nd between Erie and Westshore. Think we were chasing them all year in '76 but not totally sure as shows in '76/'77 have combined in my mind.  :rolleyes:

DCA: J-burg behind Erie, Westshore, Guelph, Hanover, Dunkirk and Hamburg.... A five corps drop in one week???

Things that make you go WT#

PS - Picturing Gary rubbing his hands together and doing an evil laugh waiting for the '75 scores.  :P

All I can remember was RCA was always in someone's pocket and so was DCA back then...I mean no matter what Cabs did they won...and Yankee-Rebs and Sky and Hurcs got ######.......and Westshore in early 70's and maybe 69 won all the RCA shows and took last at all the DCA shows....go figure

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the system, but the judges were different.  Many judges were thought to be in the pocket of various corps directors.  Don't get me started on Johnsonburg.  Maybe that was the ultimate demise of RCA.

I didn't march 75, but in 76 Thunderbirds I remember hearing complaints all year about it.  Word at the time was that Phoenix had padded their ranks with 15 or so DCI "ringers" between RCA and DCA.  Dunno if that's true or not.  They certainly backed it up with a great corps and show in 76.

Either way, Phoenix was pretty cool and I really enjoyed doing shows with them.  It was a sad day when they opted out of RCA.  Of course, that meant we won more shows, but... I'd rather lose in a great show than win a lame one.

HEY YOU WANT SOME CHEESE WITH YOUR WHINE...just kidding....see last post

All I can remember was RCA was always in someone's pocket and so was DCA back then...I mean no matter what Cabs did they won...and Yankee-Rebs and Sky and Hurcs got ######.......and Westshore in early 70's and maybe 69 won all the RCA shows and took last at all the DCA shows....go figure

well,.............I didn't get a set of recaps of 1975 RCA Prelims,...............I got a set of recaps for EVERY RCA CONTEST HELD IN 1975,...........including prelims,.................................(still reading),...............I'll gey back to you,................... but here are the prelim placements and scores.

!. 83.7 Phoenix

2. 82.58 (0.2)Royalaires

3. 82.10 (1.0) (I think) Hanover Lancers

4. 80.36 (0.3)Thunderbirds

5. 74.06 Brass Inc.

6. 71.05 (0.2) Hamburg Kingsmen

7. 70.5 (0.3) Kingston Grenadier-Yardmen

8. 67.93 (0.1) Dunkirk Patriots

9. 64.2 Emmaus Sentinals

10. 62.51 Sudbury Imperial Knights

11. 61.98 (0.1) Johnsonburg Diplomats

12. 56.88 (0.1) York White Roses

Corps not Making Finals

13. 55.65 Suburban Knights

14. 50.20 (1.0) Gypsy Brass

15. 46.74 (0.1) Garden Statesmen

well,.............I didn't get a set of recaps of 1975 RCA Prelims,...............I got a set of recaps for EVERY RCA CONTEST HELD IN 1975,...........including prelims,.................................(still reading),...............I'll gey back to you,................... but here are the prelim placements and scores.

!.    83.7 Phoenix

2.  82.58 (0.2)Royalaires

3.  82.10 (1.0) (I think) Hanover Lancers

4.  80.36 (0.3)Thunderbirds

5.  74.06 Brass Inc.

6.  71.05 (0.2) Hamburg Kingsmen

7.  70.5 (0.3) Kingston Grenadier-Yardmen

8.  67.93 (0.1) Dunkirk Patriots

9.  64.2 Emmaus Sentinals

Corps not Making Finals

wow that is so cool to see those scores...I remember Phoenix was really good and could have won if DCA was on the up and up

Gypsy Brass - wow new name to me.....

Gary please let me know if you see Westshoremen at any RCA show that year. Just found my schedule card for that year and think we were the designated last place corps for DCA in '75. <Bleep> we were at Hanover, but found out a few years ago it was the Lancers DCA show (unless the Cabs and Rebs were really slumming). Would be strange that a non-DCA member went to DCA shows all year, but I have a theory or two on that.

Gary please let me know if you see Westshoremen at any RCA show that year. Just found my schedule card for that year and think we were the designated last place corps for DCA in '75. <Bleep> we were at Hanover, but found out a few years ago it was the Lancers DCA show (unless the Cabs and Rebs were really slumming). Would be strange that a non-DCA member went to DCA shows all year, but I have a theory or two on that.

Jim if my memory is correct? the Gypsy Brass were from somewhere around Salamanca NY or maybe Jamestown...those scores Gary found were awesome as that was the first year I was a Diplomat not a Bonnie-Scot. In fact I did some sop solo work at finals and played really badly, but I think that is a different topic. Also, was neat to see White Roses on the card. And there was no way a DCA corps would slum to RCA....as I believe the Bonnie-Scots would get scr### because they helped start RCA

beer with me now,..............these sheets are copies of copies of some 30 year old chicken scratch,..........

July 5th

Ke??i?l, NJ.??????? or NY?

1. 71.58 (0.1) Royalaires

2. 59.53 (0.4) Emmaus

3. 57.21 ().2) Westshore

That's all I see, and I may be wrong,...............

beer with me now,..............these sheets are copies of copies of some 30 year old chicken scratch,..........

July 5th

Ke??i?l, NJ.??????? or NY?

1. 71.58 (0.1) Royalaires

2. 59.53 (0.4) Emmaus

3. 57.21 ().2) Westshore

That's all I see, and I may be wrong,...............

My 1975 Schedule card has July 5th Succasunna, NJ Competition.

Problem is the card was printed in April or so and was not 100% correct. But I do remember making smart ##### comments about "Suck my what" NJ.... Just don't know if that was the right date. Place was near Hoptacong and other places that made you think you were in Viet Nam or somethin'. :rolleyes:

Jeez - the first competition listed on the card is Westernport, MD on June 21. Doubt that very much, think that might have been the first show for Phoenix at Emmaus. Still think we were at that show.

My 1975 Schedule card has July 5th Succasunna, NJ Competition.

Problem is the card was printed in April or so and was not 100% correct. But I do remember making smart ##### comments about "Suck my what" NJ.... Just don't know if that was the right date. Place was near Hoptacong and other places that made you think you were in Viet Nam or somethin'.  :rolleyes:

Jeez - the first competition listed on the card is Westernport, MD on June 21. Doubt that very much, think that might have been the first show for Phoenix at Emmaus. Still think we were at that show.

I think some of the best and most fun competitions were RCA shows because most everyone was there first to enjoy drum corps and make friends. My best times were with all the different Canadian corps that came...boy could they party and hardly ever did fighting occur as in DCA shows...and the creative names of corps..if anyone could ever compile a list of any corps that did RCA I bet it would be awsome to read

!.    83.7 Phoenix

2.  82.58 (0.2)Royalaires

3.  82.10 (1.0) (I think) Hanover Lancers

4.  80.36 (0.3)Thunderbirds

5.  74.06 Brass Inc.

6.  71.05 (0.2) Hamburg Kingsmen

7.  70.5 (0.3) Kingston Grenadier-Yardmen

8.  67.93 (0.1) Dunkirk Patriots

9.  64.2 Emmaus Sentinals

Corps not Making Finals

:rolleyes:

Gee guys, I didn't realize how many corps RCA had at that time. I was in the Army at that time and could only get stories from my cronies who marched the '74-75 seasons with MBI..

I kinda wish I'd been there to see some of those corps, in addition to the Phoenix and Emmaus, among others that I never got to see before the '77 DCA show.

Still think that 5th place corps in '76 musta got shafted, they must have had ' bus lag' from the trip to Hamilton..LOL Seems as though that trend continued with DCA for a number of years after that.

Pat