Bass Drum Padding Adhesive

Jason

I've come into some sligh problems with spray adheasive, and I'm just curious what everyone else is using.

Currently I've used 3M 90 (I think it is)....however this year I've had a REAL problem with the adhesive doing it's job. I've had to re-pad the bass heads three times this summer (less then 6 weeks) and quite frankly I'm getting ######.

I have another can of adheasive....I cant remember the company, which I switched to last week...only to find that the friggin muffeling has once again come free. Seriously, today I was fit to be tied.

So, my question is, what do ya'll reccomend for spray adheasive. Because right now, I'm debating slathering on some contact cement, jb weld, and some soder and hoping that will hold.

Edited by fmcorps

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use silicone glue and glue the pads to the inside shell of the drum. That allows me the option of changing heads whenever and never having to replace the foam!I allow almost a 1/4 inch foam overhang past the bearing edge of the shell to simulate the foam being attached to the drum head like you speak of.

The other route you could go to is to use EVANS heads with the ringer control system. That seems to be a popular way to go right now.

I've seen it done, but it's not an option that I like. In order to effectivly deaden the tones of the higer pitched drums, I need to move the foam away from the edges of the head and closer to the center.

Likewise, I need a good deal of foam on the lower basses, and I'm not really keen on spending an hour custom cutting poly-foam to fit a 30 inch bass drum.

Donno about the evans heads...may have to check into it.

How about using the evans self muffling bass drum heads...they sound great and you don't have to deal with all that mucky glue and stuff!