Bass Drum Padding Adhesive

Jason

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had problems with adhesives too. I thought it was the hot weather breking down the glue but we had problems at winter camps in Canada!

We're replacing heads this week at death camp and considering going with the weather-stripping attached to the inside of the heads. There was an article somewhere on the web showing how SCV does this but I can't find it anymore. Anybody know where that was?

Thanks

Jim

Preadhesive kotex pads-cut to size and then apply either inside or outside with DUCK brand white duct tape (pad stays in place great). Worked great for me when I taught H.S. drumlines. Always a great laugh when we pulled out the box and saw the look on the freshman bass drummers, not knowing what was under the tape-hehe. The topic came up in a rehearsal this year when my 8th grade guy trumpet players found some pads in their cases (a prank carried out by my flutes I suspect). I said, "cool, bass drum pads! You guys going to put 'em on the drums?" Then a discussion came about because what I said. I told them thats what they can expect at the H.S.

It's on the pearl website somewhere....archives or educators section....somewhere like that.

Found it - printed it - I'll be putting on the new heads and trying the muffling this week - thanks for the pointer!

If you don't have the "Pearl Bass Tone Strips (TS14) - what do you use instead? A lot of the weather stripping I see in the local store isn't wide or dense enough to do the job.

Jim

If you don't have the "Pearl Bass Tone Strips (TS14) - what do you use instead? A lot of the weather stripping I see in the local store isn't wide or dense enough to do the job.

The tone strips are just easier to use. They are not expensive, (it might be a dollar or more expensive then buying foam and an adhesive). The tone strips hold under wet weather very well. My thought would be just to order the tone strips and forget about the other crap

Edited by DRUMMER

• 3 weeks later...
You need a good neoprene adhesive.  3M makes a good one.

I used 3M Super 77 Multi Purpose Adhesive on my bass drums last season and its still holding today w/ one small repair to the 5 drum.

FYI in case anyone cares, I use 1 ring completely around the rim of the head on every drum and the sizes of the high school line I teach is 18, 20, 22, 24, 28.