Bass Drum Padding Adhesive

Jason

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, unless your horn line can't put out much sound, I recommend cooling it a little on the bass drum padding. If you tune the drums well, you shouldn't need much at all. And putting foam at the middle really cuts out tone.

I'm a bass drummer, and I get really sad any time I see someone trying to cut out sound from a drum. In my limited experience, it hasn't been necessary as long as the horns are holding up their end of the sound.

And the tone foam is premium, definitely the best choice. I remember using caulk a lot in high school and first year marching, and I don't think it ever was a problem.

First of all, unless your horn line can't put out much sound, I recommend cooling it a little on the bass drum padding. If you tune the drums well, you shouldn't need much at all. And putting foam at the middle really cuts out tone.

I'm a bass drummer, and I get really sad any time I see someone trying to cut out sound from a drum. In my limited experience, it hasn't been necessary as long as the horns are holding up their end of the sound.

And the tone foam is premium, definitely the best choice. I remember using caulk a lot in high school and first year marching, and I don't think it ever was a problem.

Hey shaggy.

I hate overly deadened basses too....however since the foam keeps falling off....I'm getting marching timpanies. And I HATE that sound even more.

What were you using for calk? Just courious.

I'm also wondering if the adheasive I'm using is just to old. I've had the can for close to two years and maybe it's breaking down.

Closer to the center eh.....Like a SCV style muffling? I prefer csugrad's way; attaching it to the shell via liquid nails or such. But if you like the sound of the "closer to center" on the higher basses you may want to contact someone in SCV and ask them how they do it. They seem to get pretty good results. As for the glue breakdown...? you got me? :rolleyes:

Use 100% Silicone Caulk - Clear

(I think its called Silicone II or something, for windows & doors - you'll need a caulk gun too)

Put it all along the length of the foam then spread it with your finger - making sure that there is no foam that is not coated with caulk. This does get messy - make sure you have a wet rag around - silicone caulk cleans up pretty nice when its not dry.

Then you just slap it on, and apply pressure (make sure no pieces are left un-caulked to the head)....

once its on i like to run another bead of caulk along the edges where the foam meets the head, and make a seal with my finger. Its probably overkill - but it's never come off that i can remember - and i don't get any annoying buzzing after a while either.

I've used just about everything else - and silicone is probably the best in my experience..... Drawback - takes a long time and can get messy....

Hope this helps....

Steve

Raiders DBC

BTW - They don't have any Black caulk either.... but i think there is a taste to the caulk - although I've never tasted it.... :P (a little crank yankers humor for those who don't know)

I've glued foam to heads, and I've glued foam to rims, and I've glued foam to the shell. I've seen big ugly patches and a mound of unrolled toilet paper inside the drum. I've seen pictures come loose inside and rattle around during a show.

The best solution I've seen is gluing the foam to the shell. It worked for every size drum, but I'll admit we didn't march the miniature little puppy drums that some corps march.

Anyway, you want to glue to the head, that's your business. The 3M adhesives are usually great, so throw away that old can and go spend $10 on a new can of spray goo. But how to clean the heads? My first thought is acetone. Very flammable... dangerous to inhale... outdoors only... great stuff.

If you don't like 3M, I also remember Elmer's Stix-All working to glue foam to the head. You need a lot and it comes in small tubes. http://www.createforless.com/InterchangeDa...1-0416-0002.jpg

My 2 cents.

Dale