Madison Scouts 1971 Alice in Wonderland..

So, I was reading in the "A History of Drum and Bugle Corps vol 1" and I saw a picture of the Madison Scouts performing "Alice in Wonderland" with the flags and there ws a little girl there in the show. Did they take a penalty for it? It says that at the vfw's championship in Dallas Tx. the corps was not allowed to use costumes, skip or dance their prop filled show was performed "straight". So they had an "Alice" and a "Pinnochio" in their shows. Paraphrasing the book.

"Risque" for the 70's uh? :)

Curious about how that was accepted and if the little girl caused a penalty.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the the old B&W video of the show form the World Open. Dan Guernsey could tell you more about that year (seeing that he was in a costume. hehehe) :)

I asked about a year ago if the girl was in the VFW show and totally forget if I got an answer. It's in one of the threads containing a bunch of "Old Time" questions. Wish I could remembr more so I could try to find it.

So, I was reading in the "A History of Drum and Bugle Corps vol 1" and I saw a picture of the Madison Scouts performing "Alice in Wonderland" with the flags and there ws a little girl there in the show. Did they take a penalty for it? It says that at the vfw's championship in Dallas Tx. the corps was not allowed to use costumes, skip or dance their prop filled show was performed "straight". So they had an "Alice" and a "Pinnochio" in their shows. Paraphrasing the book.

"Risque" for the 70's uh? :)

Curious about how that was accepted and if the little girl caused a penalty.

The VFW decided at the pre Contest meeting that costumes would not be allowed. It was a rule made up on the spot, so to speak. There was no penalty, it was not allowed. Both Madison and Cavies had to alter their shows. DCI was started a few months later.

Thanks for answering!

actually----Cavies didn't go to VFW that year, they went to Legion Nationals where they did their show intact with the ringmaster, acrobat and clown...all in costume.

Jeff said:

DCI was started a few months later.

Yep...DCI is Cavies and Madison's fault! :P

Edited by FrankBeMe

Thanks for answering!

The Scouts show and the Cavies show (1/2 of it was a circus) caused somebody in the midwest to put out a t-shirt that said "The Day Drum Corps Died" on it in 71.

My corps show was also a themed show, and Drum Corps News trashed us at first, but since it was a Revolutionary War show, the VFW had no problems with it, even the Peace Sign (since it was to "Battle Hymn" of all things!).

I think you'd find that with all three of us, some judges loved us and some hated us. Our scores tended to bounce around a lot that year.

Mike

My corps show was also a themed show, and Drum Corps News trashed us at first, but since it was a Revolutionary War show, the VFW had no problems with it, even the Peace Sign (since it was to "Battle Hymn" of all things!).

Mike

Thought that was an upside-down Mercedes Benz symbol :P

ummm Mike....only 1/4 of Cavies show was a circus....it was out of concert and nothing else...so with the three other pieces (they called them acts in the program)..that makes four acts total...therefore..the circus was just 1/4..not 1/2.

Oh, OK... 1/4.

I remember standing in the endzone waiting to go on after them in Northbrook Ill watching this guy change into his clown suit crouched behind a bass drum or something. Boy did he manage to do it FAST!

Mike