Baton Rouge, LA Review

I will write a few comments about each show, except for Teal Sound. I got to the show 45 minutes early but the ticket line was so long that I was late to the show.

Southwind

I don't remember too much about this show other than that it was a good effort. They're obviously working hard and having a tough summer.

Troopers

I like this show. Very classic in style and the crowd loved it. The brass had some intonation problems throughout the show. The drumline was pretty impressive. I really like the ending, which is a soft, patriotic ending of Taps. There is even a sling drum being used for effect.

Capital Regiment

Great show. They are performing very well and I was really impressed by the sound that they can put out. Drumline good.

Blue Knights

Awesome hornline. Very balanced with good tone quality. The show was a bit esoteric in places, but I liked it. I especially liked the references to Trittico throughout the show. There were literally 15-20 references if you listen closely enough.

Seattle Cascades

Nice show. As far as I know, they are neck and neck with BK, but I think the BK show has more room to grow so will probably win out in the end.

Magic of Orlando

The show design is really great. The pirate theme was a favorite of the audience. I was watching the show with a non drum corps friend, and this was his favorite show of the night. I thought that the design was great, but the performance is just really sloppy all around. The drumline was quite dirty, and the hornline had bad attacks and cutoffs.

Bluecoats

Great corps - definately in a different league than the previous corps. The pit was EXCELLENT - better than I remember them being over the last few years. The drumline is also really good. Taking a look at the percussion scores, they are tied for 3rd with SCV, and they really do deserve it. The brass sound was a little bright for my taste, but they can put out some sound. Crowd really enjoyed the show.

Cavaliers

Once again, the Cavaliers have a knockout show that is capable of winning DCI. There are just so many little things in this show that make it great. The hornline is very balanced and controlled. The pit is amazing. I loved the show. I felt that they would get 2nd place tonight due to the drill. It seemed slightly dirty to me, but I was only sitting about 20 rows up. Because of this dirt, I feel that their score has more room to grow than the Cadets, who were cleaner visually.

Cadets

Loudest corps of the night, but done in a balanced way that makes them sound so good. I really thought that they were going to win tonight on the basis of visual execution, but I was wrong. They are pretty #### clean already - drill, hornline, drumline and pit. The percussion section is really smoking. The show is designed well, but I think they Jethro Tull music doesn't work in some sections. I don't think that this is a championship show.

It was a great show.....a few comments to add, I also missed Teal Sound due to the parking arrangements. We had good seats though....a little over halfway up on side a 40 yard line.

Southwind

I agree on this one, nothing very memorable. new unis look pretty good, just such a sudden and drastic change for them. When I hear of Southwind, yellow just comes up in my head. There's no hint of yellow so it's a total departure from the previous image. That's not a bad thing but I just didn't even know who they were when I first saw them. Very nice effort, but the hornline isn't anything like I recall hearing of recent years. Although, I never really could catch them at a good vantage point since I was a marching member of Spirit the last 2 years.

Troopers

I liked this show as did the audience , but the only thing memorable to me was an impressive drum line. Hornline had some moments, but as said earlier they had some intonation issues.

Capital Regiment

I was very impressed here. Where did they come from??? Nice full sound mostly throughout the show. Very possibly a new name in top 12 in near future years.

Blue Knights

I liked this show a bit. Hornline pretty powerful. Overall enjoyable, but it didn't leave anything memorable with me.

Seattle Cascades

IMHO, they should be a little closer to BK. Others will probably disagree, but I thought there drill was more readable than BK. BKs difficulty is noticeably more also though. Hornline was pretty loud and overall pretty good, it's just to top heavy. The low end needs to put some more air through. They have the numbers from I can recall.

Magic Of Orlando

I totally agree with the previous review on this one. It is a very crowd-pleasing show, but is very very dirty visually and musically. There having a tough year competitively but I'm sure by now they realize it wont' make finals, so they will just do the best they can with it, and have alot of fun with it. It will probably be a crowd favorite show I'm sure pretty much everywhere.

Bluecoats

WOW.....very impressive.....this was the first corps of the night that I actually noticed impressive guardwork. THey have an awesome overall package. VERY ENJOYABLE......possibly a contender in top 4 in coming years.

Cavaliers

Another WOW!!! I have to admit even being a CAvaliers fan, I was skeptical when I heard they were doing James Bond, but after seeing this show I was floored. They really made it a "CAVALIERS" show. The hornline is amazing......THe big chords were great as always, and the releases of a good hornline are so organlike in that stadium. I can't really say enough about this show. Definitely a top contender for the title. The victory concert, we moved all the way down to be in front of them and they blew us all away. It was very very nice.

Cadets

Definitely the loudest of the night and with an overall good sound. I like the show but not quite as much as I like the Cavaliers. Both shows still have alot of room to grow and it will be interesting to see the results in Denver.

I have a few friends that did catch Teal Sound, I will try to get in touch with them and see if they have anything they would share.

does anyone have anything to say about teal?

Teal sound came out with a much improved corps over the last couple of years. I really liked the teal uniforms. They really fit the corps name. This year Teal sounds is playing "Delusions: The music of Dream Theatre". This show is designed really well, and the members are doing a great job with it right now. I've only seen the show once, so I don't remember much detail. I just remember thinking how much these guys and gals have improved over the last couple of years. With the talent level and show sophistication, look for them in division II/III finals this year! :)

Edited by jjeffeory

I'd really love to know what's going on with them. I know they were dirty at Normal and it seems to me that some of this should be getting cleaned up and the score should be going up (not down like last night)

A little distressing to say the least.

It was a great show.....a few comments to add, I also missed Teal Sound due to the parking arrangements. We had good seats though....a little over halfway up on side a 40 yard line.

Southwind

I agree on this one, nothing very memorable. new unis look pretty good, just such a sudden and drastic change for them. When I hear of Southwind, yellow just comes up in my head. There's no hint of yellow so it's a total departure from the previous image. That's not a bad thing but I just didn't even know who they were when I first saw them. Very nice effort, but the hornline isn't anything like I recall hearing of recent years. Although, I never really could catch them at a good vantage point since I was a marching member of Spirit the last 2 years.

Nice to see Seattle move in front of Capitol Regiment. I thought they should have been in front of them in San Antonio Saturday, and certainly not 2.5 points behind. Judges must be waking up. Visual program, brass & drill are in a different league from Capitol Regiment (and I like both shows).

Harvey

Nice to see Seattle move in front of Capitol Regiment. I thought they should have been in front of them in San Antonio Saturday, and certainly not 2.5 points behind. Judges must be waking up. Visual program, brass & drill are in a different league from Capitol Regiment (and I like both shows).

Harvey

After the hellish few days Capital has had, I'm not surprised.

Expect them to move right back up where they belong by the Orlando show. The San Antonio judges nailed it. Saw both shows, liked both shows.

Nice to see Seattle move in front of Capitol Regiment.  I thought they should have been in front of them in San Antonio Saturday, and certainly not 2.5 points behind.  Judges must be waking up.  Visual program, brass & drill are in a different league from Capitol Regiment (and I like both shows).

Harvey

Nice to see that one panel of judges agrees with you. :P You know, 2.5 points is not that much of a difference. Since I was there, I think I can comment. Seattle had a really GOOD night in Baton Rouge. Capital had an off night... That being said, I really feel that the "visual program, brass & drill" are at least in the same league between the two corps. I realize that Capital is more esoteric than the Cascades, but somehow I'm getting the impression that you generally just don't like Capital. Personally, I like both shows. Both corps have TOP designers writing their shows this year. I think it's nice for the judges to call it as they see it. Maybe that's what's been going on...

Edited by jjeffeory