My Centerville Musings

Why is it somebody else can say what I have been saying about SCV since I saw them WAY back in January and not get flamed?

It's all about your attitude. You've got to learn how to be critical without bashing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. I would be drawn and quartered had it been written by TerriDitt57.

I had some problems myself with the visual program of SW when I saw them in Normal. I have to agree, it is only partially performance issues.

I am looking forward to SCV. A lot of friends of mine in Renegades think I'll love them!

Edited by TerriDitt57

After I saw them in CA about a month ago, I said something along lines of that the guard was bad. I can honestly say I was wrong. They're really good. They've cleaned up a lot; They're expressive; They're doing interesting stuff. Unfortunatly, you don't notice this because they are staged very poorly.

Oh my... Couldn't agree less about the staging. I much prefer SCV's approach to Devils. I reallyh appreciate that SCV integrates the guard into the overall design. How Devils get away with the drill they march is so beyond me.

Thanks for the review...

Too bad you had to ruin it by referring to Madison's guard as "an abortion"...tact level in the negative numbers for you, no matter how "honest" you may think you're being...

Oh my...  Couldn't agree less about the staging.  I much prefer SCV's approach to Devils.  I reallyh appreciate that SCV integrates the guard into the overall design.  How Devils get away with the drill they march is so beyond me.

I really didn't see anything wrong with BD's drill. It may not have been quite as high on the difficulty scale as what the other presumptive top-four are doing, but it's certainly not as poor as you imply. As for SCV's, I think I might have liked it better from a higher vantage point. However, even though I was near the top of Centerville's stadium, the angle of the seats and the distance they were set back didn't exactly provide for the best conditions to judge the quality of their drill writing. From where I sat, though, SCV's drill looked a tad cluttered and was hard to get a "read" on, if you know what I mean. It seemed like there was a lot of stuff that'll probably look good from the "high cam" view at a really high stadium, but which didn't come across to the fans in these relatively low seats.

edit: For what it's worth, I honestly cannot comprehend why so many people are so down on the Blue Devils this season. Perhaps my tastes are totally different from everyone else's, but I thought their show was absolutely freakin' incredible. Their horns are superb as always, their guard is very good, and their drill may not be the best ever, but they're performing the heck out of it. SCV was solid (even if I did think that their drill was too cluttered and that their brass was a bit too "bright" and tinny sounding), but BD was just on another level entirely. This is my opinion based on this one viewing of each corps.

Edited by Orpheus

SCV-What can I say that truely expresses how I feel about them? They're way overated!!!!

The brass are not good, especially the trumpets (wow, their tonal center is nonexsistent; why hasn't their staff said "listen to what's coming out of your instruments" It amazes me that they are that bad) The overall hornline sound is not balanced, lots of bad trumpet and baritone, and not enough tuba. The quality of articulation is extremely inconsistent. It is as if no one is insisting that each member listen and match articulations. They are NOT within .2 of BD brass wise.

Their show is not well paced. Mvt. 2, for example, is way too long and nothign

WHAT? Are you talking about? Are you okay?

I have to disagree with you, you must be a Blue Devils fan....Blue devils are WAY overrated...You seemed to only like their show. :lol:

But you have the right to your opinion...

Could it be that LancerLady and I have actually agreed?

Were you at the show LL?

No but I saw them both in Orlando....So I'm really confused on that one. But hey, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

I just don't like that pretentious ending of Blue Devils. Plus just the overall way that SCV implements everyone in their show together really does it for me and that horn line! Incredible!

I just don't like that pretentious ending of Blue Devils.

How was it "pretentious?" I mean, compared to, like, Garfield '87, SCV '90, or BD '94? Seems like another quiet, slow ending to me ...

Plus just the overall way that SCV implements everyone in their show together really does it for me and that horn line! Incredible!

I really, really wish I'd have another chance to see SCV live again this season. I was sorely disappointed by how their horns sounded on Tuesday, and from the reactions of their brass staff during the clinic, so were they! The hype (and the fact that they're playing "Scheherazade") had be really excited to see them. And the show was great, but the sound coming from the trumpets and baritones wasn't. Based on what other folks have said, I'm almost convinced that Tuesday was an abberation for SCV's hornline. Perhaps they were trying to ramp up the volume and the kids haven't quite the hang of playing RFL without starting to sound a little bright and tinny? I dunno. I know I sound like a broken record, but what I heard in Centerville from the Vanguard's brass was not the rich, dark, mature sound I would ever expect from a top-six hornline.