My Centerville Musings

Interesting review.

You like BD because they're clean and have a great sound. SCV sounded and looked relatively dirty.

I think BDs book and marching are relatively easy, or possibly they're so good they make it look easy. I think BDs motto is to always look good. SCV show is difficult and intricate, but it looks hard and it's not as clean. SCV is the work you ### off on difficult music and drill and hopefully it will be clean come finals. It's been that way for some time.

BD has so much talent. I truly wish the staff would challenge the talent and write an extremely difficult show, challenge them to push far beyond their normal excellence and into the realm of impossible unless I see it with my own eyes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are clueless if you think BD's show is less demanding than the high school band show that SCV put out this year.

For SCV, how hard is it to play really loud every 10 seconds? Actually from what I heard on the ADP it is VERY hard for SCV to do that right now. Can we play at least.....sorta in tune????

I thought they sounded better in Walnut.

WHAT????????? Blue Devils are "way overrated'????? I saw some where else where the BD bashing has started. WOW.....and they wonder what drives people away from drum corps......SIGH. :lol:

76, 77, 79, 80, 82, 86, 94, 96, 97, 99, 03...........

82 and 94

more visual , brass, and guard trophys than any corps in DCI history.

Yeah, I am soooooooo sure their shows arent demanding enough......and, not for nothing, what the use of having a ridiculously hard show if you cant clean it and present it as a polished, completed product.........oh wait, Blue Devils DO that..and consistently too.

GO BD !

~G~

And the show was great, but the sound coming from the trumpets and baritones wasn't.  Based on what other folks have said, I'm almost convinced that Tuesday was an abberation for SCV's hornline.  Perhaps they were trying to ramp up the volume and the kids haven't quite the hang of playing RFL without starting to sound a little bright and tinny?  I dunno.  I know I sound like a broken record, but what I heard in Centerville from the Vanguard's brass was not the rich, dark, mature sound I would ever expect from a top-six hornline.

Based on the May recording of the Vanguard from their website and the two APD's, I'd have to think you're right on about the sound. The trumpets are simply not there, although I don't hear the same thing in the baritones.

Although I'm looking forward to hearing them live and seeing for myself.

:)

WHAT????????? Blue Devils are "way overrated'????? I saw some where else where the BD bashing has started. WOW.....and they wonder what drives people away from drum corps......SIGH.     :lol:

That's my opinion and you don't have to agree with it, but yes I do think it's overrated.

This comment will not "drive people away from drum corps" sheesh what's the matter with you.

I am not "bashing" the Blue Devils I like their show except for the ending I think it takes away from their show. That's just my opinion though...don't get your panties in a wad.. :P

Oh and just so you know, SCV and BD have always been fierce rivals and this year that is coming back with these shows. Gotta love it!

Edited by Lancerlady

No offense to you, profhill. . . .but in reading all these reviews I find something very funny. People who agree with someone's review tell them how intelligent and well thought out things were and how much they "rock" . . . . but if they like a corps that you did not like, then you are an idiot.

I don't call people names if they don't agree with me cause everyone has their interpretation of how they view things.

I think I've made that clear that when I voice something it's my opinion.

It just puzzled me that someone would bash SCV so bad, when they have an incredible show all the way around, and it amuses me when some think that BD is in a "class by themselves". I don't agree. :lol:

I like both of these shows and I think for once they are in a heated battle against each other like the old days. I'm glad. It doesn't matter to me whether you agree or not. Maybe at the show you saw they may have been dirty but as we know everyone has their good days and bad days. When I saw both I felt SCV should've beaten BD.

Edited by Lancerlady