My Centerville Musings

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I marched 3 years.

Lancer,

if you call what I heard as "good" then I guess I know nothing. do you know anything about musicanship?

OH yeah?

Where? I know alot about musicianship, I studied Music Education, what about you?

I was a French Horn Major and was in the music business for many years. But I'm not gonna waste my time with you any more, I just wanted to get that in. And I agree with DCDad and Cobra...

I was there in Orlando, I didn't base it on some apd that doesn't do the hornline justice with its quality of recording anyway.

It's better to see it live.

But wait are you truly a fan of SCV? I think you should change your name...oh and if you marched like you say why not display it in your signature? Then maybe I could get an understanding of what kind of teaching you received. Oh yeah, and who ###### on your cheerios? You must've not made somebody's horn line or something is all I can figure.

Have fun trolling...

Edited by Lancerlady

"Your Honor, I rest my case" :blink:

Why is it that the other top tier corps sound "good" in the ADP's? were the mics in better positions for them?

I don't buy it for a minute. The sounds that are coming out of there horns is not good no matter if the mics are in the right place or not.

I am only compairing the orlando ADP's because it was only a few days between the ohio show.

And I am sorry for insulting the father of SCV's sop soloist. I should not have gone there!

I listened to SCV's Orlando APD four times today. Sounds fabulous to me!

I just listened to it as well, to try and listen for what SCV Fan is talking about. I think you hold a grudge, because none of which you said holds true. There is great tone quality, the soloists ALL nailed their solos with great sound. The trumpets, and mellos sound amazing. The low brass does their job and well, of course, the Euph sound is missing, but the Baritones still sound awesome.

As far as the quality of the APDs, they all suck, especially when compared to the live showing...

To everyone worried about the point spread... SCV WILL close the gap this weekend. That is for sure... With 3 days off between the show, the staff will be doing TONS of cleaning.

I attended both the Winchester, Ky show and Centerville so I got to see SCV

twice. At Centerville I was with a group of band directors who were all in agreement

that SCV has one of the most incredible brass sounds we have ever heard.

I have not heard the Orlando performance, plus I never try to judge a group

based on a recording...but there is no way this corps' sound could be considered

anything but OUTSTANDING.

If SCV fan REALLY believes this is BAD...he should certainly not attend any shows

this year because he's going to be VERY disappointed because SCV is without

question near the top. Seem's the judges agree with me too.

Well like I said before I was actually there in Orlando, so I know what I heard in PERSON, not from some recording. And we know that some of these recordings have not been top quality anyway.

SCVFAN will be okay esepcially when he sees them live and if he truly is a SCV fan he will feel silly for this :blink: ...

I am noticing a lot of opinions on here about SCV and I am going to attempt a non-biased opinion that is kinda on the fence for everyone, since I saw them on Monday in Kentucky......

I agree on the fact there are times that there are balance issues and some spread of tone. I also agree on someone opinion about the drill cause there are long periods of time where intervals are tight and you never see the tention release, hence "Attraction"....

On the other foot, SCV in the late 80's and early 90's used to play extremely loud to the point that they lost volume til the last couple weeks of the season, then they came to their senses and finessed it. As far as drill, I wish they expanded the intervals in some spots so it can be read a little clearer, no matter where you are sitting in a stadium, but I give them an A for effort for at least trying. I think they can make this show into something, especially when they get the ending done.....it gets you to the edge and just stops. You just know that they are going to do something more at the end. I cant wait to it at finals.

BTW....my opinion on the solos at the beginning.... to try to play classical solos with a nice sound and placed all over the field and trying to match the styles exactly and from a cold start is challenging. I know from experince on this. They are not quite there and it will be....but once again....A for effort.