Corps that got DQ'd

Not getting to compete in finals or having their finals score thrown out after working their ##### off all summer long is how legitimate junior corps members "pay" for the irresponsible actions of the staff (if they knew of overage members) AND the parents of those overage members as they know full well their "real" birthdates. Not to mention the overage members themselves who knew full well they shouldn't have been marching to begin with.

I was mainly questioning your laying of blame on the "irresponsible actions of the parents." I mean, by the time someone is 22+, the umbilicus has probably been cut ... and even moreso 20 or 25 years ago than today, right? And not all parents are always very involved in their kids' lives, anyhow.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not getting to compete in finals or having their finals score thrown out after working their ##### off all summer long is how legitimate junior corps members "pay" for the irresponsible actions of the staff (if they knew of overage members) AND the parents of those overage members as they know full well their "real" birthdates. Not to mention the overage members themselves who knew full well they shouldn't have been marching to begin with.

I was mainly questioning your laying of blame on the "irresponsible actions of the parents." I mean, by the time someone is 22+, the umbilicus has probably been cut ... and even moreso 20 or 25 years ago than today, right? And not all parents are always very involved in their kids' lives, anyhow.

Umm...I didn't pose the idea of the parents being irresponsible. "DCIHasbeen" did. ('So.k., easy mistake). However, I don't think that most parents are so out of it that they don't know that their 22 year old kid is gone all Summer (let alone on another Continent for that matter) marching in Junior Corps. I will give it to them though that a lack of knowledge about the age limitations (exact date of 21st birthday) and that their kid probably lied about being able to march, would be the main problem that contributes to the heartache experienced by the rest of the Corps. Then again, maybe they did know and just didn't give a ####.

Either way, through someone lying, someone not caring, someone who by their own selfishness of just "having" to march overage no matter who it hurts, the legitimate junior corps kids pay with their Summer ending in painful tears.

However, I don't think that most parents are so out of it that they don't know that their 22 year old kid is gone all Summer (let alone on another Continent for that matter)

Well, regarding the SCV situation ... I'd wager their parent's didn't know any better. After all, in DCUK, you can march until you're 25, right?

What happened to the Muchachos in 1975?

I marched in the Cavaliers in 1975 and we busted them. One of our members marched with the Muchachos' feature Roto-tom player in Blessed Sac when he aged out of that corps. He (the Cavalier guy) told our management who told DCI. They asked him to stand on the sidelines after the Muchachos DCI Prelims performance and point him out. The next thing that happened was that DCI decided not to anounce Muchachos prelim score. Rumor had it that they may have outscored Madison that afternoon.

When we (The Cavaliers) showed up for finals, we were heckled in the parking lot. We were roundly booed on the starting line. People threw all kinds of debris at us while we watched finals from the back stands after our performance. For us marching members, the east coast reception was highly entertaining and it motivated us to a better than expected finals performance.

It was really a shame for the Muchachos. They had an exciting show. They had this spectacular lead soprano that played some kind of call to the bulls perfomance when the corps was lining up on the starting line. It electrified the crowd. If you don't know what a Remo Roto-tom was it was a tunable three headed tenor drum without drum shells. You tuned it like a tympani by rotating the head on spider-like frame beneath it. The Muchachos had the full package that year and were in the same class as Madison in my opinion.

Speaking of the SCV situation, by the way, if those guys had forged documents good enough to fool not only DCI but U.S. Customs, as well ... how were they ever discovered?

Anyone?

Here's a RAMD posting that explains it. All the poster says is that Royer got a call, he can't remember from whom, telling him about the first one. And then Royer found out a few days later about the second one; again, the poster doesn't explain how Royer found out. Maybe, as the article speculates, the first overage individual told him about the second one, and he had to do some research to confirm it.

I marched in the Cavaliers in 1975 and we busted them.  One of our members marched with the Muchachos' feature Roto-tom player in Blessed Sac when he aged out of that corps.  He (the Cavalier guy) told our management who told DCI.  They asked him to stand on the sidelines after the Muchachos DCI Prelims performance and point him out.  The next thing that happened was that DCI decided not to anounce Muchachos prelim score.  Rumor had it that they may have outscored Madison that afternoon. 

When we (The Cavaliers) showed up for finals, we were heckled in the parking lot.  We were roundly booed on the starting line.  People threw all kinds of debris at us while we watched finals from the back stands after our performance.  For us marching members, the east coast reception was highly entertaining and it motivated us to a better than expected finals performance.

It was really a shame for the Muchachos.  They had an exciting show.  They had this spectacular lead soprano that played some kind of call to the bulls perfomance when the corps was lining up on the starting line.  It electrified the crowd.  If you don't know what a Remo Roto-tom was it was a tunable three headed tenor drum without drum shells.  You tuned it like a tympani by rotating the head on spider-like frame beneath it.  The Muchachos had the full package that year and were in the same class as Madison in my opinion.

Paul Milano wrote a rather extensive post here on DCP on this subject some time ago. It gave detailed information (who, what, where, when) after actually taking to all the parties that were involved. Including Pesione (sp?), Don Warren and a multitude of others. I would search for it but I am at work.

Search away.

I marched in the Cavaliers in 1975 and we busted them.  One of our members marched with the Muchachos' feature Roto-tom player in Blessed Sac when he aged out of that corps.  He (the Cavalier guy) told our management who told DCI.  They asked him to stand on the sidelines after the Muchachos DCI Prelims performance and point him out.  The next thing that happened was that DCI decided not to anounce Muchachos prelim score.  Rumor had it that they may have outscored Madison that afternoon. 

When we (The Cavaliers) showed up for finals, we were heckled in the parking lot.  We were roundly booed on the starting line.  People threw all kinds of debris at us while we watched finals from the back stands after our performance.  For us marching members, the east coast reception was highly entertaining and it motivated us to a better than expected finals performance.

It was really a shame for the Muchachos.  They had an exciting show.  They had this spectacular lead soprano that played some kind of call to the bulls perfomance when the corps was lining up on the starting line.  It electrified the crowd.  If you don't know what a Remo Roto-tom was it was a tunable three headed tenor drum without drum shells.  You tuned it like a tympani by rotating the head on spider-like frame beneath it.  The Muchachos had the full package that year and were in the same class as Madison in my opinion.

Paul Milano wrote a rather extensive post here on DCP on this subject some time ago. It gave detailed information (who, what, where, when) after actually taking to all the parties that were involved. Including Pesione (sp?), Don Warren and a multitude of others. I would search for it but I am at work.

Search away.

Found it:

http://drumcorpsplanet.org/forums//index.php?showtopic=15292

Just so folks know where to look, it's on page 5 of the thread.