Can't you just KICK yourself?

1965 VFW held inside because or torrential rain. Also this might have been the show where the animal skin drum heads went to #### and Hello Plastic.

Any show with straight no valve bugles as I want to know what this sounds like.

As for a show I actually could have seen, have to jump to the Senior side and pick 1996 DCA which was won by my old corps. I hadn't been following corps for a few years except for buying the tapes of DCA Championships. Learned we won when I heard it announced on the tape. :rolleyes:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'65 indoors would have been something to see, I agree. I'd forgotten how we California guys wore out that record. I've since gotten the CD re-release and played the heck out of that as well.

65 VFW would have to be on this list.

Personally, and only personally, I would have liked to have seen 71 AL at Houston as the corps I taught for that whole season, the 71 "Hollywood" Diplomats were in it (5th or 6th place) and I couldn't make the trip.

I had officially resigned from my brass instructor position a little before then due to a disagreement with management and I didn't even get to hear the performance until some 30 years later on a Kobold tape a friend sent me....I still play that performance a lot.

RON HOUSLEY

Re: drum corps.    I wish I could re-live 71 Drums Along The Rockies so I would have seen Madison's 71 Alice and Troopers "Western Movie" (as I call it) again.    Those two were to me the harbingers of all drum corps to follow.  Didn't see Cavies circus show until years later on tape..but they weren't there, I don't think.

Who else was there? I really can only remember Madison and Troop...they made us --Stan Knaub and myself- go home to our own drum corps job (71 Dips) and seriouisly re-think a bunch of stuff!

RON HOUSLEY

Funny, I competed against Madison in 71, but I don't remember ever seeing them. I DID see the Caveis from the side at a show in (I think) Northbrook Ill. We were on just after them so we were in the end zone waiting as they performed.

I remember watching their clown frantically chenge into his costume hiding behind the drum line back field before they began the circus part of their show.

I've been listening to our 71 Revolutionary war show on a Garfield through the years CD I purchased at USSBA NJ State champs...a fantastic music book primarily by Frank Dorittie, with the Chaconne from the Holst Eb by asst brass guy Larry Schillings (Glen Ridge HS BD) and a tag ending by, I think Don Angelica.

George Tuthill's percssion score is also incredible...geared around the timpani section and not the snares, which I guess is one reason some judges used to really dump us.

That Garfield corps, which was VERY young, might have made some noise the coming years, but corps (mis-)management politics tore it apart after 71.

Mike