Corps Abuse

mbandguy

Edited by RickCogley

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in capital running and pushups were pretty normal...i never heard any screaming obscenities...hey, i'm a lot stronger now, so i do appreciate the 20,000 or so pushups and probably 50 miles of running i did...haha, those numbers are real too...

20,000? Wow, were you ticking a lot? lol

IMHO, push-ups and laps do not really constitute "corporal punishment". They're used in the military and athletics all the time. Now, if the instructor physically strikes someone, that's when it's too much. I've heard stories of drum instructors in the 70's who would rap you on the knuckles if you screwed up.

in capital running and pushups were pretty normal...i never heard any screaming obscenities...hey, i'm a lot stronger now, so i do appreciate the 20,000 or so pushups and probably 50 miles of running i did...haha, those numbers are real too...

hahaha everytime I looked to my left on down time in rehearsal he was always doing pushups :P

I still remember the first few days of death camp... my tech Christine: "Trey, calm down or i'll make you run" "ooh ooh can I please?" and he was serious too :P

Can timpanists tick? :P

I totally agree with colegrass on this one.  My summer was full of wonderfully long days filled with obscenities and running.

With the Kilties, any verbal abuse or profanities by staff is subject to immediate termination (on the spot)....goes with the members too

Members respect the staff and administration, and the staff and administration do likewise.

Respect is a "two way road".

I think push ups and running are good reminders of mistakes, when used correctly. Yelling at kids just doesn't make sense UNLESS they are just not paying attention. The only time I yell is when time is wasted (silly mistakes, not paying attention, TALKING TOO MUCH) but this must ALWAYS be followed up with THE ANSWER. If its the same mistake, the student probably doesn't know its WRONG. This is where TEACHING comes in. In my first year of marching junior corps, I got stronger, not better. I learned how NOT to teach that season, and went elsewhere.

I honestly couldn't imagine marching a corps without having to do running/push ups/crunches for messing up a rep. Not only does having to run/do crunches/push ups make me want to strive to be better, but it also helps with conditioning. If it wasn't for all the running and such I had to do this summer for screwing up reps, I wouldn't have lost 36 pounds. Do I mind having to run/do crunches/push ups for screwing up? No, I feel it's my duty to do so, especially since I let my corps down by not thinking or lack of concentration during a rep. I also become more motivated to do better when someone will say 'what the heck was that?', 'that was crap', etc. Obvioviously where I march is quite respectful on how they use their words and when they use them, or else I would not be marching there. I would rather know the hard truth than have everything be sugar coated. Afterall, only good words would create a rather unequal balance. I've learned to take the unfavorable words and being told to run, etc. with a grain of salt because in the long run it will be worth it and was worth it this season. And for the record, I have never felt mistreated or abused by my instructors in either of the corps I've marched in.

Edited by CanosGuardChic

I learned how NOT  to teach that season, and went elsewhere.

While I had a few not-so-great experiences in this activity, I tend to take that same attitude towards them instead of saying I wasted my time there. You may learn THE way to do things, or you may learn how NOT to do things. Either way you are learning...