A Memorable Weekend

:D ....well, once a year I get the chance to travel to my hometown turf of Marinette, Wisconsin (and it's border "sister city" of Menominee, Michigan) to engage in what has become one of the highlights of the year, the annual "Waterfront Festival" in Menominee, Michigan.

Being an alumnus of the Northernaires, I, along with dozens of other Northernaire (and other) alumnus from throught-out the country pull into town in time to catch the famous Friday evening rehearsal to ready for a 2 mile parade and concert that takes place on the Sunday of that weekend...

Needless it was nice to see many of my friends who I have shared the field with over many years. Lloyd Pesola former baritone player, drum major, and finally arranger/music director for the Northernaires before heading into DCI judging and working with various nationally ranked corps, lead the Friday evening rehearsal. Some of us still perform and have some respectable chops, and some of us are a little "chop challanged", but needless to say by the time rehearsal had ended, Lloyd had the brass line sounding in good form. Of course no rehearsal would be complete without some "parking lot librations" followed by making several cameo appearances at several local pubs, of which, to our credit, we did not get kicked out of (this year).

After awakening from a less than restful, too short of a sleep, Saturday started with our annual picnic. Food was a plently, soda was a plenty, and for those who had not had enough "libration" the prior evening, well that was a plenty also (but still ran out..they must make kegs smaller now days..because the 2 we had went fast...BUT, in our wisdom..we had "back-up" in the trunks of cars)..

Our Saturday picnic started with enjoyable banter and the rekindling of great memories, the mingling of family and friends followed by a solid brass rehearsal of several hours. We were joined by the percussion section for the final hour of rehearsal and things sounded extremely well, after rehearsal the party/picnic continued for about another hour or so, then, as comes with age, a little "nap" time to ready for the huge...and I mean "HUGE" fireworks display presented Saturday evening at the Waterfront.

Apparently the Friday night "libration" coupled with the Saturday afternoon "libration" time was not enough, as many friends, family and alumni continued the "once a season" get together WELL beyond what is normally "humanly possible"

Sunday morning, we found all had made it back to their areas of rest for a few "winks" of sleep, and found ourselves gathering at 10:30AM to lock up with several other corps that we would close our afternoon concert with as a mass corps. We were glad to see the Blue Saints from Canada joining us. One of our members had been at the Division ll/lll show (I believe) in Grand Haven, and with chatting with their management at that show found they had no appearences scheduled for a couple days. So our alumni invited them to attend our Waterfront Festival, with the corps alumni paying for their fuel and quickly setting up housing from them so they have a place to stay enroute to Madison later in the week. What a great group of kids.. (ahhh, h###, we're all kids when it comes to the drum corps activity)

Well, we made it through the parade without any casualties, and our DM Mike Kushman, promised us we would play only lightly in the parade to save our chops for the concert...he lied again this year. But, how can ya not play to the hometown fans. The corps sounded d### good. The best it ever had. This is certainly a springboard to next year when the Northernaires will be celebrating their 50th birthday, and great plans are already in place.

After the parade, soda and water was available to refresh ourselves...oh, and some "librations".

The concert part of Sunday always takes place on the Waterfront, where there are 1000's upon 1000's upon 1000's of people. We had the honor of performing last following our drum corps buds from farther north, the Blue Notes (who sounded great, some RA Reunion and Kilts in that group, the same as the Northernaires), the Mountaineers performed a really nice set along with the Blue Saints. This area of the country IS drum corps nuts...man, they love the corps!

The final performance was a mass performance by the Northernaires, Blue Notes, Mountaineers, and Blue Saints, of which the mass performance is the typical closing for the last several years. Lloyd directed the mass corps...60-70 brass..(maybe 30 percussion) in several selections including Battle Hymm, Almighty Father, Great Escape, Bully, to name a few...and a "bring tears to your eyes"mass brassline closing of "You'll Never Walk Alone"......ya know,if you're in drum corps, you indeed,..."never walk alone"!

Bill

Kilties

Northernaire Alumnus

Billy Boy I can't agree with you more!

It was a great time had by all! B)

The best part of course was to see all of the "old guys" talking about their experiences in drum corps and hearing some of the stories. Talking to guys that haven't been to a show since 1971 (Ken Bond), or to prelims since '68 (Gres) cripes, that was before I was born! They had drum corps then? Just kidding!!!

It was a wonderful experience to see The Blue Saints from Sudbury, Ontario Canada come join us for the parade. It gave some of the guys wonderful memories. They didn't get in to Menominee until 5am. But they were ready to go at 10:30 for the parade! When they were warmimng up and rehearsing, they sounded great! Only 8 horns, too! I hear they souded better than Kilts did. LOL!

I got to talk to their business manager/brass instructor/driver/confidant/pr relations all in one, like many small corps and found out about their program and their organization. What a class act! I have to say that they made a lifelong Blue Saints fan out of me!

What was also great is their part of the concert. They played, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, Theme from Pearl Harbor, String of Pearls and In the Mood. They had they whole crowd rockin' and a reelin'. I actually saw people dancing! And then when an older lady in the front row, grabbed the director, while he was conducting and said that she loved their music and them, I think that really made all of us just appreciate drum corps just that bit more! After that point, the director could not stop smiling! He told me that he told the kids what she said, now remember these kids are anywhere from 10-17 years old, and he said that even though they have'nt been getting the scores they wanted but that made the whole season worth it! That's Class!

Thanks again for everyone coming out! Thanks to The Blue Notes, The Mountaineers and especially The Blue Saints!

Please join us for our 50th Anniversary next year!

:)

Nice review Bill....gotta luv you yoopers!

Plaidly,

Aldo (Lower Mich Troll '68-'72 Marauders) '70 VFW State Champs..ummm :blink:

Go up, eh?  I grew up listening to the Blue Notes of Ishpeming.

(Yooper of 15 years, transplanted to Illinois)

:o ...hey dar Gabe, did youse have ta learn how ta re-talk when youse moved down dar to dat Illinoise place dar, hey??

<_< ..I still slip into a couple strains of "Yoopinese" on occassion!!..hehe

Bill

Kilts

Check it out: Kilts