• Madison
    • Cavies
    • Magic of Orlando
    • Phantom
    • Glassmen
    • Crossmen
    • SCV
    • Crown

I may be biased, but I would say the Blue Devils brass staff. I havent seen Steve Bentley too much except for last camp, but working with Wayne, Van, and John has been great. The talent, expertise, and experience of the brass staff is pretty formidable.

No doubt, Magic of Orlando has a very competitive brass staff. No disagreements there. I expect to see them go far this summer.

By the way, I think after last summer that gives the Blue Devils a total of 18 high brass trophies.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man Cascades still need a few brass.  We're div. 1, our show is awesome and the brass staff is really great.  Check it out and let me know if you're interested, we'd love to have ya.

-Chris

-Cascades Bari '02

Seattlecascades.com

GOTTA be Blue Devils! (disgustingly obvious bias noted) Whether historically or today, they've always had the best around. It takes a helluva line to beat theirs (its been done, but not often!) and have more brass titles than anybody...

...combined...

...doubled. (almost!) Now that's saying something!

Today's instructors... Wayne, Van (see most influential instructor topic), John, and Steve... hard to imagine 4 instructors with such different personalities and styles, much less having it work together so well. Okay, done waxing eloquent.

-Baudino

All I'm going to say is compare the drill velocity and intensity of both brass and percussion lines in the Cavaliers to the placements in both captions...it takes some awesome teaching to get top scoring horn and percussion lines with that kind of balanced playing quality under that kind of stress.   8^)

• 2 weeks later...
Today's instructors... Wayne, Van (see most influential instructor topic), John, and Steve... hard to imagine 4 instructors with such different personalities and styles, much less having it work together so well.

ok, I'ma chime in here...I'm also gonna vote for BD's staff...obviously this is NOT a bias on my part except for the fact that I have been taught by Van Matthews...and to this day I still consider him the absolute BEST instructor ever to have stood in front of a hornline.  I mean, this guy is soooooo laid back...like he smokes a fat one before every horn warm up.  But geez...no one I know...NO ONE has ever had the ability to bring something down on a level that everyone can understand, the way Van can...he's the man...Van is the MAN...! lol  Sorry, I'm done doing my impression of Dr. Seuss. :P  But seriously, BD gets my vote SOLELY because of Van Matthews...all you guys marching BD this year, pay close attention to this cool cat...he's one bad dude...and one HELLUVA teacher.  Learn as much as you can from this man...he's incredible!

Justin

p.s. Ask him to tell you the "young bull/old bull" story...it makes for a good analogy to drum corps, but is, at least, the epitomy of Van Matthews' personality.  I still remember the butt-chewin our sop line got from him in '96...*whew*  :yikes:

Hey man Cascades still need a few brass.  We're div. 1, our show is awesome and the brass staff is really great.  Check it out and let me know if you're interested, we'd love to have ya.

-Chris

-Cascades Bari '02

Seattlecascades.com

Cascades website is Nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Magic has the names, but Blue Devils have the results until further notice.  Thanks for the bluecoat love though, who thought a bunch of canadians could teach white kids from ohio to play jazz...

And i reiterate Will's words... they let Antman near children?????

• 9 months later...

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned "The Originators of all Classical Pageantry".

(THE PHANTOM REGIMENT)

Yes, the Blue Devils have put out a consistently successful hornline since thier inception into DCI, with 18-19 Jim Ott trophies to thier credit for best brass performance you have to appreciate that. But there have been other hornline staffs that agree on sound quality, technique, expertise in the field of orchestral sounds than the brass staff at the Phantom Regiment. The proven arrangements of Jim Wren from back in the day up to 1996, the directon of the program and brass caption head Dan Farell, and the staff of professional musicians and educators from many places across the US have made Regiment a consistently powerful, rich, dark and exciting hornline to listen to for many years.

Perhaps, I am biased, but I have listened to many hornlines in my DCI days as a member and spectator and no other hornline has put out THAT sound over THAT many years for so long that have made Regiment a recognizable hornline for as long as it has. They must be doing something right.

Just my thoughts