Marching French Horns

gohorns

My band director had a marching French Horn that he wanted me to try out today. Has anybody played on these things? If so, what do you think? I think it has a darker tone than a mellophone, almost to the extent that it sounds kinda like a baritone. I think it's a very interesting instrument, the only bad thing is its pitched in Bb instead of F. Anyone have any thoughts on these instruments.

• 1 month later...

I played Marching French Horns for seven years, and found a couple of things. The notes are sometimes harder to slot because the slots themselves are closer together. However, the Horn itself has a much darker, warmer sound than a mellophone. If you want a more symphonic sound, a more rounded sound, marching horns are the way to go. Also, however, playing at louder dynamics is pretty difficult. A marching horn is harder to get a focused, loud sound out of than a concert horn, and often the louder dynamics will spread and get blatty if you don't pay attention. They are not bad horns, in my opinion. It's just a matter of choosing what style you are looking for.

Drum corps used to use marching horns.  Was the switch to all mellos due to the problems with cracking notes while marching crazy drill and the volume problems?  Also, how high and low can you play on those compared to a mello?

Possibly...regardless of the intended use...concert type or marching type...a Frenchie is a VERY difficult instrument to nail. Very finicky on the partials (slots, somewone else called them)

Not to say they aren't still out there...Dream had one in the field...and I think Renegades had a whole section.

When I played on it if i remember right i hit a double G which is the same as high C on a mello. I don't really remember how hard it was and how close the partials were up there but it definately wasn't as bright as the same note on mello. As for low range it beats mello by a bunch and the tone down there is beautiful, sounds almost just like a baritone I believe.

So there are no junior div. corps that march frenchie lines anymore?

Also, there seemed to be more of those instruments around the early 80's. If there is anyone from Spirit around from those years, I'm wondering what the hornline used in terms of hardware in the middle voices. Was it an all frenchie line, or split frechie/mello, or split frenchie/mello/flugel?

I wonder how Jim Ott scored those middle horns. They were bad a**.

Edited by mrshowfan

Personally I think the FH sound is distinct and much warmer than the Mellophone. Certain arrangers such as Scouts Ray Baumgart knew how to exploit that sound and integrate it perfectly within the low brass. I also believe in general FHs do not stick out of the ensemble like Mellos do.

If you have people who can play them, they are well worth having in your ensemble.