SCV Going Matched in 2005

PercussionMafia

http://www.scvanguard.org/audition_informa...equirements.php

Take a look at the little note underneath the first paragraph.

Personally, I don't think it's good or bad. It's just not something you'd associate with SCV. It just seems strange.

BTW, that also (most likely) means, the tilt is gone.

Edited by PercussionMafia

Maybe they're only going to play a section of the show using the match grip on special drums. They have had snares play tenors in the past.

I'm gonna get flamed by fellow drummers for this, but here it goes:

Traditional grip is an anachronism. In the era of advanced drum carriers, there is no logical reason to still teach traditional grip. Sentimentality is not a compelling reason. If you want your hand-to-hand strokes to sound even, why wouldn't you hold your sticks the same way?

The move back to matched grip is long overdue.

Well, I think there's a reason that it came in, and then went back out again. Most snare drummers prefer traditional, whatever the reasons may be, we prefer it.

I also note that on that page it says "The snare line will be playing match grip this year.", but that could be interpreted as either "the snare line will be playing the entire show with matched grip", or "the snare line will be playing portions of the show using matched grip". I'll wait to hear more, I guess.

If you want your hand-to-hand strokes to sound even, why wouldn't you hold your sticks the same way?

Because most people are right handed. The wipping action of the left hand in traditional grip compensates for weakness in the left hand which can actually make hand to hand strokes sound more even. (assuming the grip is used properly, thumb up not palm up)

Actually, SCV is exactly who you think of when it comes to match grip. They were the first major line to switch to it in '77 (almost everyone else followed suit for a season or two, and the fad had died off by the early 80s).

SCV not associated with matched? Did I read that right? Have a listen to SCV 81, paying attention to the snares. That was a heck of a matched line. I'm looking forward to hearing a matched line on Kevlar, and I can see why they will insist on having their snares there at every rehearsal to focus on technique. Should be an interesting year.

(I wonder: will anyone "steal" the tilt-o-matic action? )

SCV not associated with matched? Did I read that right? Have a listen to SCV 81, paying attention to the snares. That was a heck of a matched line. I'm looking forward to hearing a matched line on Kevlar, and I can see why they will insist on having their snares there at every rehearsal to focus on technique. Should be an interesting year.

Hey Rick- Was 27th's snare line still matched grip when you marched?

Ah, but you know that SCV wasn't the first there - the '82 Cavaliers snare line had a tilt in their carriers.