• 94 Blue Devils
    • 95 Scouts
    • 96 Regiment
    • 97 Blue Devils
    • 99 Blue Devils
    • 00 Cadets
    • 01 Blue Devils
    • 02 Cavaliers

well i voted for Star 93, but i think youre missing a huge candidate in Cadets 2001.

I agree that Cadets should've been the representative from 2001, but for my vote I went with Cavies 2002. Never heard a sound that good come off a football field. Might be the horns, but they're still the best I've heard.

Jim

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get a chance to see Cavies live this year :(, but even though they have improved tremendously I'm still trying to figure out how they won high brass after watching the broadcast. I know, it's not fair to judge a show based on such a crummy format, but they must have had the easiest book in the top 5 and I could swear I heard "trumpet" cracks in the opener. They also came off as extraordinarily top heavy with very little coming from the low brass. I'm sure I'll have a better assessment once the CD/DVD recordings arrive, but on PBS it seems like they got smoked by BD, Cadets and PR.

Either way, I wouldn't add them to this list until I can hear a better recording.

Guest Nuts4Corps
I didn't get a chance to see Cavies live this year :(,  but even though they have improved tremendously I'm still trying to figure out how they won high brass after watching the broadcast. I know, it's not fair to judge a show based on such a crummy format

Either way, I wouldn't add them to this list until I can hear a better recording.

You are correct, it is not fair to judge based on that crummy format. You didn't hear the Harmony movement of the cavies show...so there is no possible way you can judge.

I was there at finals, and they rocked....and winning brass every show but once the entire year says something too.

NUTS

I know -- my sister was there and she says the same things everyone else has. I think I'm finding it hard to reconcile that they could have turned around the program. If someone had told me six months ago that Cavies would go undefeated in BRASS, I would have politely laughed in their face. I need to hear a real recording, as that broadcast didn't showcase much.

Either way, a lot of you have short-term memory judging by the vote totals so far in this thread. After hearing nothing but adoring praise all summer long for the Cavies brass, I have to admit that the broadcast was a bit of a let-down.

Star 93...without a doubt.

93 Star.

Saw it the first time, hated it.

Saw it the second time, hated it.

Saw it all summer, every time I HATED IT.

Listen to it constantly on my Collectors CD's

Listen to it now that I know what a musical Performance is.......

LOVE IT.

For sheer entertainment, though.......

85 SUNCOAST

:o

WHATTA LOTTA SOUND!

The "best" (as in the most technically proficient) has to be Star '93. Personally, I enjoy the show very much, even though I'd hardly list it as my all-time favorite. Others were more entertaining, but none were ever as well trained and no corps ever had a more well-written horn book. Jim Prime was the most talented arranger to ever work in drum corps, IMHO.

Fun fact about Star '93: 18 sops, 18 mellos, 20 baris & euphs, 16 contras (all two-valve Kings)