Why the change in drum sounds over the years?

Galen

i'll make sure it doesn't die.... B) :angry:

SCV used white max @ the begining of the season. that led to an interesting sound from them. Murray said that it was to force the snares to listen in more and that they'd switch back later in the season. i guess it worked!!! :beer::worthy:

-Giancarlos

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't die!

Tom states, and very truthfully I might add, that it's much easier to play harder rudiments on Mylar in a line because the spacing of the notes is broad enough to hide imperfections. With Kevlar, you hear everything.

Funny thing is that I actually find it more difficult to play the more intricate patterns (faster) on non-Mylar heads because the head is too eager to rebound rather than letting me lay the pattern in, if that makes sense. Now, I'm perfectly willing to allow that it might have something to do with a difference in technique (I'm from the era when we still checked ourselves by being able to play the entire program on a non-rebounding surface like a piece of carpet), but even still, my paradiddles, cheezes, etc, are much tighter and precise on mylar than Kev. Go figure...

Free floating snares have also changed the timbre of the drums somewhat. Less hardware in contact with the shell gives a much less "choked" sound like we used to have with the old Slingerland TDR's and Ludwigs.

Course the funny thing is that the shell was liberated to resonate better, but the head is a material that doesn't resonate at all, thereby killing whatever tonal benefit the free floating shell design was supposed to deliver. Ach, progress....

in addtion to getting a better tone, they went to t a free floating system because the shels coulndt stand the pressure of the heads being cranked down.....ive seen many old drum buckle under the pressure.

I think mylar is better for me personally to play on since I do more playing on a practice pad than on a drum anymore. As far as it goes I think in certain instruments tone has gotten better through the usage of kevlar since the extra set of snares to help the sound project is more commonplace.

As far as nonsnare stuff, does anyone know when two ply tenor heads became commonplace? I think that the articulation coming out tenors is better lately than it has been.

My only two gripes about corps drumming is:

Blue Devils overcrank those dynasty snares to the point of formica having more tone.

Boston Crusaders Tenor and bass head choices have all of the tonality and clarity as drumming on a wet paper bag.

Both lines have had amazing books throughout the last few years but the tuning and tonality of the instrumentation is holding back the true musicality coming out of them.

The difference in sound that some of you are hearing between certain corps, is a result of those corps' specific tuning styles. Most of the modern corps (assuming they are a Remo endorser) have a White or Black Max on top and a Falam Snareside on the bottom. Some exceptions are the Crusaders who use Tenduras and the Cadets and Cavaliers who use Ambassador snare sides. But the basic sound is the same. Most differences are in tuning.

The need for a crisper head was due to the fact that licks were getting more complicated as the chops of players improved. Ever try playing Ditty on a concert snare? Multiply that sound by 8 or 9 and you can bet it would sound pretty ugly, especially on the field. Kevlar and fiber laminate (Falam) heads offer more rebound, can be tuned higher and cut through the brass better. The shorter tick of each note allows the outdoor sound to seem more separate. That's why horns are taught to make their notes more stacatto and less of a legato like you'd have in a concert setting (may be wrong about that - I'm not a brass guy).

SCV used white max @ the begining of the season. that led to an interesting sound from them. Murray said that it was to force the snares to listen in more and that they'd switch back later in the season. i guess it worked!!! 

-Giancarlos

Switch back to what? They were using Black Maxes everytime I saw them and there is no discernable difference in sound between a Black and White Max.

Perhaps you meant they started out on Falams because that would certainly force them to listen in better :worthy: , although the heads do take some getting used to, due to their intense rebound.

PS: Please don't let this thread die; lately, it's like my posts "curse" threads and cause them to die.

Probably because you're much too polite to say something inflammatory.

Allright, allright: those kevlar heads sound like yo mama's formica table top, and any snare who hasn't played a season on mylar ain't a real drummer. How's that?

:worthy:

no discernable difference in sound between a Black and White Max.

I heard the black maxes absorb heat more (physically, that makes sense) and are a bit more problematic on tuning.