Why the change in drum sounds over the years?

Galen

PS: Please don't let this thread die; lately, it's like my posts "curse" threads and cause them to die.

Probably because you're much too polite to say something inflammatory.

Allright, allright: those kevlar heads sound like yo mama's formica table top, and any snare who hasn't played a season on mylar ain't a real drummer. How's that?

:worthy:

LOL-Nice try , Rick but we ain't buying it. Thanks for setting a good example and proving to the Japanese that not all Americans are boors.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to be argumentative. . .

no discernable difference in sound between a Black and White Max.

I heard the black maxes absorb heat more (physically, that makes sense) and are a bit more problematic on tuning.

True, but, in reality, I doubt you would notice the difference with the whole line playing. I was just trying to make the point that the White and Black Max are virtually the same (except for the color, obviously).

I'm not sure if they've changed the white max since I tried them with my line, but the ones that we tried...must have been around 02 had a layer of film on the top (not quite certain what type of plastic it was) and a natural weave on the bottom.)

The black max that I tried this summer had a plastic coating on both the top and the bottom of the head. And I prefered the sound of the black max over the white max. I do hear a distinct differance in the sound, when we switched out the heads, but that may have just been due to the wear and tear we put those drum heads through.

As far as nonsnare stuff, does anyone know when two ply tenor heads became commonplace? I think that the articulation coming out tenors is better lately than it has been.

I think that was somewhere around '74. With that thin coating of oil between the layers, they really reflected the sun in your eyes if you weren't careful B) Makes for a great sun tan though if you play tenors.

I'm not sure if they've changed the white max since I tried them with my line, but the ones that we tried...must have been around 02 had a layer of film on the top (not quite certain what type of plastic it was) and a natural weave on the bottom.)

The black max that I tried this summer had a plastic coating on both the top and the bottom of the head.  And I prefered the sound of the black max over the white max.  I do hear a distinct differance in the sound, when we switched out the heads, but that may have just been due to the wear and tear we put those drum heads through.

The White Max you had had just the mylar (that plastic coat you mentioned) on the top whereas the Black Max you had had the mylar on both sides. That double-sided head is designed for doube snare systems (such as the MTS) and, yes they do sound different than the mylar-only-on-top Maxes. The mylar on the bottom protects the snares from chewing up the weaving on the head. Both heads can be ordered with mylar just on the top, or on both sides.

All else being equal, there SHOULD NOT be a distinguishable sound betwen a White and Black Max, excpet for the problems encountered when in the sun, like mentioned earlier. The heads are made the exact same way, just the strands are died different colors.

At least, I can't hear it.

Hi PercussionMafia: it could be that the dye in the head makes a slight difference in sound. If they soak the fibers in dye, that process could potentially "do something" to the nature of the fibers that are woven into the fabric that then becomes the head.

Anyway, I have no first-hand knowledge of it, but it's good to hear there are so many alternatives these days.

That may be the case. I was just relaying info that was told to me by a guy I know who's a Remo endorser and is very familiar with the manufacturing process.

Look, I can't really back up my claims, but I myself can't tell the difference for two reasons. One, to be able to hold the sound in your head of one line playing Black Maxes and compare it to another playing White Maxes, doesn't really work. Two, to be able to quickly determine the difference in sound between the two is not a fair contest because rarely will you have two lines that have the same drums tuned the exact same way. Choice of sticks and tension of the bottom head and snares will also drastically change the sound.

My .02

PM