Hardest/Coolest Contra Parts

randomnoise

What is the Coolest Contra feature ever?

Blue Stars 97... :D

Who knew four contras could have such a rich sound?  If you haven't heard it, check it out; it's sweet.  And, no, I didn't march that year  :(  so that's not why I like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though not strictly on thread, I hereby nominate Mr. Charlie Groh as the most "influential" contra bass player in the history of Southern California drum and bugle corps.  His work with the Velvet Knights during the mid-to-late 1960s speaks for itself. I was there to witness and so must testify.

RON HOUSLEY,

1967 Anaheim Kingsmen (lead baritone)

1971 Lynwood Diplomats (staff brass arr./instructor)

Dev's '84 La Fiesta, OMG no time ever to breathe

I have to say that the opener to Phantom's "Defiant Heart" in '96 was pretty sweet... a full dark sound to open the show... and it's a ballad!  Man, I really liked it.... very sonorous I think.

'86 BD opener was really good too.  Other than that, I can't think of the hardest.

1974 Purple Lancers.Nice contra soli in exit.Also.Cliff White's solo in Open Wide 1980 27th Lancers.Definately Spirit playing Nuttville,and Star with 18 playing Close Encounters

J

Also check out the repeating contra sixteenth note rhythmic figure in Purple Lancers' 1974 "Power to the People". This part required flexibility, a nimble tongue, and breathe control. I was always glad that part was not written for us sopranos!  8^)

####, too bad I didnt play contra  ;)^

thats the right idea Dawg