Women in Drum Corps History

I was a female in the horn line of the 27th Lancers which was mostly male dominated. We had certain "traditions" we had to uphold. I had to constantly prove myself to these guys...they were a tough crowd! Not only was I a female in a male dominated line, I was a southern female and got ragged hard about my accent! (Like anyone from Boston had the right to rag me about my accent! lol) But they loved me, especially when I made my fried chicken for them! :P

We had to wear a hair net, none of our hair could be seen so we couldn't really be distinguished from the guys.

We could not under any circumstances wear any type of make up at any time. Only color guard was allowed to wear make up, if they chose too.

We could not wear any jewerly under our uniform, not even rings!

If we had to do 27 push ups though we could opt to do them "what they called" the "female" way or the guy way. I usually would pick the guy way.

There are others but I haven't had my coffee yet! I'll let you know. I enjoyed being in the horn line though! It made me grow some bawls! b**bs

When I marched I'd say on average about 10-12women were in the horn line, you had to be REALLY GOOD!

And Nancy it was 1978 (the year my hubby marched) that the female, Mary marched in the drum line. My hubby wants to know he thought she was the one who got picked to not wear underwear on finals ( another tradition) is this true?

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the early to mid '70s, SCV did not allow females in either the horn nor drum line.

And knowing nothing different, we didn't think anything of it. It was just the way it was and we liked it.

Got to admit though, I remember thinking how cool Bonnie Ott was and thought once in awhile, "Hmmm, why not?". But, then again, it wouldn't have been "Tradition"!!

Funny how SCVs "Traditions" change and grow over the years. I like it.

I think it was 83 when SCV allowed females in the horn and drum lines.

"Females In Drum Corps":

The St Anne's Loyalaires & Connecticut Royal Lancers junior corps of Bridgeport Ct had FEMALES in their hornlines as well as their color guards. The Casper Troopers have had FEMALES in all sections.

Lillian Gaudette was an award winning drum major of the Bridgpeport PAL Cadets (and is now one of the DM's for the Park City Pride) so was Alice Dobson. The "All Girls" Audubon Bon Bons had a very strong corps in the late 1950s, defeating all of the major all male and "mixed" contenders, and their drum quartet and Rita Macey won the VFW National quartet and indie titles in 1957.

Elinore McCarthy was an award winning drum major for the IC Reveries corps.

Sandra Stone of the old Rockford Purple Knights won the VFW Indie tennor drum contest in 1962.

Sandra Grim was a French Horn player for the Casper Troopers in the late 1960s, and won the Miss Wyoming Title in 1969.

I am sure that there are many many more.

Elphaba

Another pertinent historical note for this thread, with observations by Jodeen Popp.

Wow 1983 SCV? Surely you jest? I would think more like 1973 maybe, I don't know though, but I believe 27th Lancers didn't allow females in their horn line around 74 or 75, but Nancy would know this for sure since she marched those years...Do you remember Nancy when women were allowed in the horn line?

Edited by Lancerlady

Wow 1983 SCV? Surely you jest? I would think more like 1973 maybe, I don't know though, . . .

Believe it or not, 1983 is correct. See this post.