Women in Drum Corps History

Glad to have you aboard, Martha - oh-woman-of-quick-wit that you are! b**bs

Ah - here I am remembering "a" Leeson and thinking it was the Martha

"Leeson" dad who was prez. (Tell your Martha-Dad I still have to buy his

book!) So Leeson is to Vanguard as Smith is to the rest of the country. B)

And, yes, I misplaced the 87 male rifle line. :grouphug: Go men!

BTW - anyone want info about SCV in the 80s, Martha is your drum

corps encyclopedia. :wall:

MAV

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mav, that IL air is doing something to your purty head, because my parents couldn't have cared less about drum corps when I was in. On the SCV board? Ha...maybe they were bored by SCV. They were and still are symphony musician snobs. My saving grace was that I didn't join BD...that "lowly jazz music" would have had me eliminated from their will for sure. :blah:

But then you could've marched with me, Rob Brown, Rich Duarte, etc...

Okay....so marching with me wouldn't been great shakes....

How could your parents possibly be bored with the shows you performed??? Good LORD....some of the greatest SCV ever!!!!

84 Tenderland push.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mav, that IL air is doing something to your purty head, because my parents couldn't have cared less about drum corps when I was in. On the SCV board? Ha...maybe they were bored by SCV. They were and still are symphony musician snobs.

LOL, sounds like my parents!

BTW, Mav definitely forgot our all-male rifle line in 1987. The ten of them collectively won the Rookie of the Year award that year. All of them were awesome guys, and they endured a lot of homophobic crap from the guys in the drumline at first. They really proved themselves fast and shut up their critics even faster.

It's too bad they had to endure that kind of crap, because that was one fine rifle line. But that's exactly how they silenced their critics, eh? Good for them!

Martha.....I guess I was thinking of "L-e-A-s-o-n" that was with SCV back in late 60s and early 70s. I'd have to look at the alumni roster on their site to confirm this. But the name "Martha Leeson" really rings a bell, as they say: whoever "they" are!

And Mav.......I played in the Sylmar band circa 63-65....and rehearsed with the then-Culver City Imperials Sr. Corps and actually entered my first indiv. contest in their uniform but never marched a gig with them. In 66 I marched w/Lakewood Ambassadors, who were pretty much headed downhill by then.

Was writing a drum corps column for the old DCW and DCNews back then on the side......young high schooler.....drum corps equivalent of Cameron Crowe....but lots of us were.....we took turns back then.

Won 66 Cal Stat Open Bari Indivs in Thunderbirds Baton Corps uniform (don't ask) and then by fall of that year was an Anaheim Kingmen lead bari....one of 3.

Drafted out of Kingsmen ranks into US Army in Aug of 67....came back and started teaching B-corps hornlines in SoCal in 69. Took over Lynwood Diplomats hornline in 71 before moving to SCV-land, where I had both Redwood City Guardsmen and Mandarin for about 1/2 year...think Stan Knaub did M&M for both? I think we were promoting ourselves as a package deal around then.

Dropped outa site in Aug of 72 and started lurking in the stands on occasion when I got the chance.

Nowdays I scribble charts for fun and practice and run the on-line store for The Fresno Ferns.

www.cafepress.com/fresnoferns

And lurk in the stands.....and show up at people's practices when they--and I--least expect it.

That's my story and I'm still stickin' to most of it!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

You mean a female snare drummer? I didn't march in '75, so I have no way of knowing. John Swartz is way better qualified to answer this question than I am. It seems to me, though I'm not absolutely sure about this, that we had a female snare drummer in '80, a blonde gal. But if I'm remembering that correctly, I have no recollection of her name.

Is the gal you're talking about shown in this corpsreps.com picture from '75? The snare shown on our right sure looks like a female to me:

pic063.jpg

Yes, that's her... I should have asked Chris when he was here.... as for the blond in 80, that was Dawn Watterson from Michigan. By the way Sue, there was a del event this past weekend... I couldn't go, but I heard it was a riot!

Yes, that's her... I should have asked Chris when he was here.... as for the blond in 80, that was Dawn Watterson from Michigan. By the way Sue, there was a del event this past weekend... I couldn't go, but I heard it was a riot!

Hey Sue, didn't Dawn Watterson march Northstars in '78 on the cymbal line????

I guess I was supposed to look at this thread, again.

The snare from 75 is Joan Butler's sister. Sue is her name, I think. Joan was the # 2 bass drum up to 78, maybe 79 (it's late, brain not engaged). There was another Butler sister on cymbals too. I'll probably remember her name as soon as I hit send.

I wouldn't have rememebred Dawn's name at all.

The party Saturday night was just incredible. It was at the school. There must have been about 40 just from 77 there. I think there were well over 200 all together. Wanna guess who the last 12 people to leave were? Bonus points for the time it was.

We should do it every Saturday night, at least until there's hockey on again.

Sue, the other Sue, I'm sorry, I should have sent you a note that it was happening.

Regards,

John

The other Butler sister must have been Janet Butler. She marched cymbals in '79 with Spirit of Atlanta along with her boyfriend Dave Morton (another Etobicoke Oakland Crusader) who marched snare. Dwayne Lewis (the Black snare in the picture) came to Spirit with Tom Float and taught the Tenor line (at least for the two years I was there).

The other Butler sister must have been Janet Butler.  She marched cymbals in '79 with Spirit of Atlanta along with her boyfriend Dave Morton (another Etobicoke Oakland Crusader) who marched snare.  Dwayne Lewis (the Black snare in the picture) came to Spirit with Tom Float and taught the Tenor line (at least for the two years I was there).

That would be her.

Regards,

John

Sue, the other Sue, I'm sorry, I should have sent you a note that it was happening.

If you're meaning me, I receive regular e-mail updates about various Del/Oakland gatherings, so I'm pretty sure I got something about this. But I couldn't have made it anyway, since we already had plans for that evening. Sounds like it was a great time!

Edited by byline