whats the bigest contra line ever?

big contra

I believe it was 16, and that was only at one point at the show; the baritones set their horns down and picked up contras from the sidelines. I think Phantom probably marched the biggest ones for the entire show, back when they had 14 contras in the mid-late 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the year that Star did "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" (i think it was late 80s ;)^ ), they had one part in the show, where a sop would play the famous melody from that movie, then 18 contras (WOW!!!! B) ) would play it in response (mimicking the movie scene at the end, idk if youve seen it) It was unbelievable!!!!!! Check it out, i think youd definitely love it! :D

Well -- the all-time biggest (for a field show) had to be the 27th Lancers reunion corps in '94.

But the largest used in competition ... yeah, '86 Star used 18 during "Close Encounters," but that was basically a special effect. However, Star did march 16 contras for the entire show in 1993.

• 4 weeks later...

Well if you wana get that technical then I would say Opening cerimonies. over 100 contras. :) I would have to say star and Phantom both had the largest lines to march a full show I do believe Phantom had 16 as well in 96 I could be very wrong and it was really 14 but either or what I would have done to march with either one of those lines not only where they big but they were the best 14 to 16 players that had ever touched the field.

Actualy it was Star 92 where they marched 16 contras....When i got my 92 DVD, the brass comes in with that opening fanfare, I was amazed at the deap dark sound they put out. It wasnt until half way through the show that i actualy counted all 16 contras and I was like "&%$@#%^%&^*$!!!" I also heard it was Cadets 86....On the Waterfront show when they marched 18 contras....they had the largest Bass section on the feild, i belive the DCI program said it was arround 80 horns....and of course they had an incredibly small guard.....I think more corps should do that!

I agree with BtBeck1 I think there should be 90 horn players and 45 percussionists instead. Sorry color guard but you guys have winter guard. Well so do percussionists, but they add to the effect greatly. I for one never watch the colorguard in a drum corps show.

I know at the tribute for Jim Costello at the Cabs home show in Hawthorne in 2001 had approx 30+ contras..............

I would have to say star and Phantom both had the largest lines to march a full show I do believe Phantom had 16 as well in 96 I could be very wrong and it was really 14

It was only 14 contras, but based on how they played it's all we needed. :) The rest of the hornline was 20 Baritones/Euphoniums, 12 Mellophones, and 24 Sopranos if I remember correctly.