Playing with braces

TimHoop

I would suggest NOT using wax or any kind of guard. I was marching baritone at the beginning of this last marching season because I was afraid my braces would be a pain to deal with. I switched to mello a few days later and I'm still playing now.

The first day I probably played more than I should have and so I was in pain for the next few days, but eventually my mouth just got used to the braces or scarred up or something. I don't even really notice the braces now. I'd probably be a better player without them, but it really isn't that hard to play once you get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got braces put on last Wednesday, and, as you can probably tell, I play baritone/euphonium.  I've not played a huge amount yet, but from the few minutes I did play, I can offer this much advice: practice.  practice  practice practice.  It's the only way you can ever hope to get your chops back.  Yes, wax is wonderful and can help with the pain, but your embochure will be drastically altered no matter what.  And, of course, don't use the octave key on your horn and ram the mouthpiece into your face.  Of course that will hurt.  So don't do it.  Your tone will be airy and horrible and high notes and lip slurs will be difficult.  I've gone through this all in the past four days myself.  But practice is all that will help you sound closer to your former sound.  And be warned. . .you'll get used to it so much that when you get the braces off, you'll again sound like crap.  This has happened to several friends of mine.  Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had braces for almost a year now and have marched a full high school season(on trombone) and am currently marching in Spirit(on baritone) with them with no problems.  Biggest thing is do a lot of lip slurs, its the easiest way to get ur emboucher used to the braces.  And DONT use the wax, if you do u will never develope strength in your lips and u will be dependent on the wax until ur braces come off.