Playing with braces

TimHoop

I was just wondering, any of you out there, specifically baritone/euphonium players have or did have braces?  This will be my second summer marching and I just recently had braces put on.  How quick were you back on the horn?  What if any adjustments did you have to make?  How much did it compromise your playing?

I was just wondering, any of you out there, specifically baritone/euphonium players have or did have braces?  This will be my second summer marching and I just recently had braces put on.  How quick were you back on the horn?  What if any adjustments did you have to make?  How much did it compromise your playing?

i havent personally had braces, but have had a few brass friends who have. a gereat tip one of my friends gave ..... if it gets uncomfortable to play ... u can put wax ( i geuss its special was u can get ) over the braces so it doesnt cut into ur lip ..... also ... i knwo that in the brbasswinds catelogue the sell seomthing to [protect u r mouth ....... hope this helps

I started playing my Trombone with braces on way back in the day, many moons ago....I was good, but when I got them taken off in 8th grade, I was even better.  I don't know what it is like to go from not having them to having them, so good luck.  

If they do hurt, or cut your lips while playing, do ask your orthodonist for the wax....that does wonders!!!

GOOD LUCK!

Don't.

Actually just make sure of three things:

1.)  You get and use the wax that you can get for free from your dentist.  It really does work, and prevents literally bloody chops at the end of a rehersal day.

2.) You play with as little pressure as possible.  If you play with pressure it will completely destroy your emboucher by the end of the summer.

3.) Watchout during the passthroughs. :)

Actually marching isn't that bad with braces you should be able to get back on the horn within 1-2 weeks of getting them on.  Take the playing slow your range, tone, tonguing, slurring, pretty much everything about your playing will be changed.

It basically just takes some getting used to, I had braces for three years.  It didn't affect my playing that much once I adjusted.

I am a tpt player and I played with braces for about 14 months and i fouund this resusable stuff called BraceGuard. Its comes with 2 puttys that you mix(only small amounts per guards) you mix it up good quick and then you press it on your braces TOP OR BOTTOM,not both, and then wait 1-2 minutes.You get this reuseable rubber like guard that is pretty thin, only if you make it thin, guard for your braces. You then pull it off your braces carefully so not to rip it, just cut the little columns of  rubber stuff in between each bracket so it'll go back in and that'll last you for a month or so. Each package has enough stuff for 3 or 4 guards i loved it, saved my chops and let me play just almost as normal as without braces. Its good stuff.

2.) You play with as little pressure as possible.  If you play with pressure it will completely destroy your emboucher by the end of the summer.

Yes, play with very little pressure - it's a really good idea for all of us brass players, braces or not!

Guest mafields627

As trumpet player who has had braces for two years in the past, I would reccomend NOT using wax, for multiple reasons.  One, it's a real pain to deal with and you go through a lot of it.  Two, and the most important, it breaks off while your playing and gets blown into the horn.  Personally, I never used wax or those guards.  You adjust to the braces in time.  In two years of playing with them one, lead for one of those years, I never bled from them.  But, if you have to go with some kind of protection, get a guard and stay away from the wax!