Review of DCA DVD

We ordered prelims and finals disks of open class and class A. Our prelims disks have this annoying little stutter thing going on where every couple of minutes everybody goes into slow motion for a second and then rushes to catch up. The finals disks however are fine. The stutters on the prelims disk dont affect the sound at all....its just a video thing and they also dont seem to throw the sound and video out of sync either.

You might want to try checking whether or not your Prelims DVD is a DVD-R or not. I know DCI's Prelims DVDs are contracted out to a company that produces them on-the-spot using DVD-Rs, and maybe DCA does the same? DVD-Rs and standard DVD's are formatted slightly differently (rather technical - relates to how the bits are arranged on the disc), and some DVD players aren't equipped to play DVD-Rs very well. Most newer DVD players will play both formats well, but an older DVD player will experience problems similar to what you describe. I suggest trying out your Prelims DVD on your computer (if you have a DVD drive and a player) and see if you encounter the same problems there.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Submt a bid

hahahahahah ($ to that annoying Jeff Ream - hahahhaha j/k)

hey if he makes a better product and can get old vids onto dvd's, game on

The reason that it looks like VHS quality, is because the digital clean video was compressed to allow for more corps on one DVD. Yes, that's cheap, and it starts to get pixely looking - when you compress the video, the video and audio may have problems lining up as well, as we've seen in more than a few of the DVD's from this company.

BVP just sucks, and that is that. HONESTLY, I could do it better by myself.

I was thinking my husband and brother in law's video production company could do a better job, at least they know how to edit.

DCA should really re consider another company, the prices are outrageous. As if y'all don't have to pay enough to march and then they want to make money off of you..but hey... :worthy: I know people want to see something but I'm sure you could find somebody better.

I've always felt with DCI and DCA that marching members should work out some kind of discount plan with production through the individual corps, but that's just my thoughts, I mean you're already giving them your sweat etc...why can't they cut y'all a price break? ^0^

LOL Nice!!!!

I'm hoping to order my dvd soon so that maybe I'll get it before Christmas.

Good luck on that...

:worthy: :sshh:

Price point could be better. They have the only rights to record these shows, but geesh. 159.00! Ouch.

Edited by suitebari

• 2 weeks later...
I would hope that in the future, they send someone to see a show before prelims or finals so that they know what they're taping! I've only watched the Bucs thus far, but they missed virtually every major visual impact or move. Seeing a show in advance would enable them to know what to look for and when. Heck, I'd spot one of the advance team a ticket!

There's a trumpet or baritone feature and the camera's fixed on the mellophones, while they're stationary, not playing. And so on, and so on.....

Did anyone else's show have this same problem?

I agree about the packaging. Or lack thereof.

It certainly makes me appreciate what Tom Blair does for DCI a lot more.

Yes I've always said this. They have no clue what they are taping, and it sucks for the corps. They could at least put the option "steady camera", you know the one camera that don't move up there? We use to have that angle couple years ago.

I agree with you, DCI is way more professional about this.

About what the camera is trained on...

Yes, I believe everyone probably has that problem of having the camera on the wrong parts of the show. Granted, some hits are subjective, drum solos usually have some cool guard work or horn drill but camera should probably be on the drums, but for the most part the big impacts should be obvious but never seem to be to the camera editor. I think what one of my friends said is true, they do all the camera jumps the NIGHT OF FINALS and don't go back and edit it proper.

Just one of our many problems:

Closer - during the drum solo, right before Eli plays an 8 count tenor solo (true solo, as he is the ONLY one playing), they switch cameras to a single flag that's not even doing a solo or anything even all that difficult. Then right after this, almost exactly when Eli is done with the solo they switch back to the drumline camera. Only problem is, now we're doing boring set up drill to get back in position while the hornline is doing wicked do-si-do's. Ridiculous. It would be better to just have a box shot the whole show instead of that crap.

Our prelims camera work is actually better but unfortunately our show was a little flat. I guess that's our fault... heh heh

Almost every DCA video I've seen has been like this though. They also show the soloists waaaaaaaaaaay too long. I remember our vid in '98 showed the soloists for probably four minutes out of ten and a half. That was very frustrating. I'm sure even the soloist doesn't care at that point. Wow, someone standing there playing while everyone is flying around the field behind them, interesting. DCI got good at this last I remember, show the soloist for about 5-7 seconds and then spin that to a picture-in-picture box and show the box shot at the same time. Brilliant!

:rock:

I've tried to stay away from getting into this, since I haven't bought the DCA videos since '89...BUT!

As a good friend of the guy who between the mid 70's and this year was involved in either audio or visual recording at DCA, having he and the previous audio recorder not working this year is a bit strange.

At least when he was in the truck, the production crew usually knew when something was coming up either visually or musically....CAUSE HE WENT TO SHOWS AND SAW THE CORPS! Or at least most of them.

They didn't have that this year, and nearly all reactions I have either read or heard have been bad about the visual quality. The surround sound that they used last year was great to get in the door, and then they got the contract for both audio and visual. I never heard of anybody from their firm making an effort to get to a late season show to take notes and plan on what to do at Prelims or Finals.

At least Blair does that with DCI... My friend and I would do that as best as we could for the last 3 years we recorded at DeKalb. Not the best, but steadier than what these 'pros' gave us at Scranton.

Sorry for the rant, but for those that feel the product sucked..just a sympathetic and empathetic ear.

Pat

Just so everyone knows... BVP sends out a questionaire to all corps Directors asking them specific questions about their corps' show. It asks questions regarding the show, ie: is there a specific solist to be featured, when in the program and vicinity on field? guard feature, when ? where? percusion feature? when where? big drill move ? when ? where? signature drill move or feature? when? where? etc. etc. It also invites a corps director, program director or corps appointed official to sit in with the producer during the taping to point out specifics.

I sent in my sheet in 2003, and we got on tape the spots we wanted for the time we needed them featured. !

This is one thing I applaud BVP in trying to please the corps', compared to past video prducers who were only there to collect a check!

my opinions only!