The Origin of "May You Never Walk Alone"

The Madison Scouts played "May You Never Walk Alone" for the first time in their field show in 1954 and again in 1955 and 1958. So, how did "Never Walk Alone" become the Madison Scouts's theme song?

According to Chuck Eikel, a Madison Explorer Scouts alum from 1951-1958,

"In 1957, the Cavaliers and Scouts were dressing in a high school gym for a show in Kankakee, IL. It was the first day of a two-week tour to the VFW Nationals in Miami Beach. The Cavies started singing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow,' which was a hit from their 1957 show. After they sang, we Scouts got together and sang 'Never Walk Alone' since most of us knew the words and harmony from previous years. Then both corps melded into one group and sang both songs again. That was the beginning of 'Never Walk' becoming a theme song. Also, it was the beginning of many friendships and bonding between the Scouts and the Cavaliers for many years."

I thought I'd pass that story along if anyone is interested in drum corps history "waaaaaay back in the day."

That's cool how that worked out, Dan.

When I joined the Cavaliers in the fall of 1969, one of the first bus songs we rookies were taught was "You'll Never Walk Alone." As you can imagine, almost all bus songs, serious or not, were eventually "modified" with filthy and hilarious lyrics.

Lo and behold, that summer, during one of the first bus rides, a rookie trying hard to be funny began to recite some "modified" lyrics for "YNWA." He was quickly and firmly stopped by a vet who said "That's the only song besides our corps song and Rainbow that we don't mess with."

Two songs were always sung by the Cavaliers prior to going on to the field. Our corps song and Rainbow. About four or five times a year, as the mood struck us, a third song was also sung.

Long live the brotherhood . . .

Since we're discussing Madison trivia.

Are the corps members still required to join the Explorer post? I had heard that this was the practice as late as 1983.

Are the corps members still required to join the Explorer post?  I had heard that this was the practice as late as 1983.

Not since then. I still received Boys Life for about 5 years after I aged out! I thought they severed the relationship sooner though.

oops

Edited by dans24103

"In 1957, the Cavaliers and Scouts were dressing in a high school gym for a show in Kankakee, IL. It was the first day of a two-week tour to the VFW Nationals in Miami Beach. The Cavies started singing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow,' which was a hit from their 1957 show. After they sang, we Scouts got together and sang 'Never Walk Alone' since most of us knew the words and harmony from previous years. Then both corps melded into one group and sang both songs again. That was the beginning of 'Never Walk' becoming a theme song. Also, it was the beginning of many friendships and bonding between the Scouts and the Cavaliers for many years."

Just before I performed in my first show with the "A" corps after moving up from the Cadet corps in 76 in South Milwaukee we sang You'll Never Walk Alone before we sang Rainbow. Being a "new guy" it struck me kinda strange that we would sing another corps song. I was in the Cadet corps long enough to know that YNWA was Madison's song. After a few shows the above story was told to me then I understood.

Long live the brotherhood!!!

Are the corps members still required to join the Explorer post?  I had heard that this was the practice as late as 1983.

When I joined the corps in October 1969 you had to qualify as a Tenderfoot Boy Scout before you could march. That meant you had all winter to memorize the Boy Scout oath and tie a few knots :P

Thanks for sharing the story Dan. I never knew that whole sequence of events. I always just thought of it as a show of brotherhood with a great competitor. Besides that it is a GREAT song and really lends itself to male choir well.

Splooie and MYNWA!