66 VFW Questions

I was looking at the VFW finals scores the other day, and noticed that Madison made finals, but didn't compete. What Happened? I noticed also that the Racine Scouts competed in finals after placing 13th in prelims, presumably replacing Madison. This leads to my next question. Why did the Reveries, who placed 14th, do a sit-down protest at finals?

I was looking at the VFW finals scores the other day, and noticed that Madison made finals, but didn't compete. What Happened? I noticed also that the Racine Scouts competed in finals after placing 13th in prelims, presumably replacing Madison. This leads to my next question. Why did the Reveries, who placed 14th, do a sit-down protest at finals?

Madison WAS in the finals...don't know the whole story there. Reveries thought they got screwed out of finals, went anyway and told the guy at the back gate that they were St. Joes (who was on next) and the guy let them in. DUH....the side of the bass drum had the corp name on it...he must have been drinking New Jersey water. lol

They came in and lined up on the starting line and proceeded to sit down (except the American Flag section), and waiting (which seemed like eternity) until the contest chairman decided t let them be judged. No score was announced for them though.

Madison WAS in the finals...don't know the whole story there.  Reveries thought they got screwed out of finals, went anyway and told the guy at the back gate that they were St. Joes (who was on next) and the guy let them in. 

The brouhaha was over Racines penalties being reversed and allowed as #13 in the finals. reveries believed that they should have had similar penalties reversed and allowed in as #14.

The story I have (since I researched it for the History Vol.II) was that the Reveries encountered St. Joe's at the gate and negotiated passing in front of them onto the field. When Gus Probert, Reveries DM was asked for his corps name his reply was, St. Kevin's Emerald Knights, of course in red, white and blue uniforms...

My story, stickin' to it!

According to the Drum Corps News from 9/7/1966, there was a two point penalty assessed on the Madison Scouts in prelims, which was reversed after prelims had finished. With the penalty the Scouts had an 82.00. good for 14th place. That put the Racine Scouts 82.65 in 12th and the Reveries 82.60 in 13th.

At the meeting, which must have been rather interesting, the first ruling was that the reversal put Madison in 10th at 84.00 with Racine 13th and out of Finals. The Reveries then left the meeting and later found out a second ruling allowed Racine Scouts in Finals and made it 13 in the night show.

The Reveries felt that they also had a right to be in Finals as they finished ahead of Madison prior to the penalty reversal. Since they were 13th in prelims and 13 corps were allowed in Finals, they felt that having 1-12 and then the 14th place corps was not right.

After the Racine Scouts, performed they went through the gate in front of a surprised St. Joe's and moved to the starting line. The drum major, Gus Probert, asked Tony Schlechta to compete and was refused. At that point the corps sat down. After 10-15 minutes the judges came out and the Reveries played. Their performance was not considered official.

There is a great Moe Knox photo of the corps sitting down on the cover of the issue.

My story was all here-say, so I'll have to agree with yours. So Reveries DID figure they got screwed and wanted in. Didn't the guy at the gate notice the name of the corp on the drums? Like I said...it must have been the drinking water. I just can't imagine that meeting....Whew....must have been a doosie!!

And we think DCI has problems? I guess there's always problems no matter what.

And then The Reveries were blackballed from the VFW shows, thus started the 27th Lancers????

My story was all here-say, so I'll have to agree with yours. So Reveries DID figure they got screwed and wanted in.  Didn't the guy at the gate notice the name of the corp on the drums?  Like I said...it must have been the drinking water. I just can't imagine that meeting....Whew....must have been a doosie!!

And we think DCI has problems?  I guess there's always problems no matter what.

And then The Reveries were blackballed from the VFW shows, thus started the 27th Lancers????

Two years later the VFW got them back.

After 27's surprising second place finish at the CYO,

The Lancers were annoucned as the 27th lancers from

REVERIE Ma. in the VFW Prelims. And once again

did not make the finals, There was no sit in this time.

The Judging sys.has come along way?

Edited by St_Marys64

Speaking of that show, that was the first Fleetwood album I got as a Christmas present. My folks got me the volume with the Boston Crusaders on it.

I must of played that record through about 3 needles on my General Electric turn table. Loved that show.

1966 BOSTON CRUSADERS

I must admit they played, and "it was"

"a very good year" for the BAC. I know,

I competed against Boston in 1966.

Early in the 1966 season St. Kevin’s, The Reveries

and St. Mary’s all beat Boston ONCE at the same show.

BAC went back and changed their whole show and

we St. Kevin's would NEVER beat them again, that year

or any year. St. Mary’s or the Reveries, also would never

beat them again.

Imagine, on a Saturday night in June of 66 The Crusaders found

themselves rated forth against local corps. Boston had re-claim

the Best in East title over the past two seasons, what was this all about?

The Cru went back to Boston and practiced, practiced, practiced,

changing their whole show. Boston then went on to become

the Best in East again, and rated by some as the best in the country,

and second nationally by others. Boston would also Win the

CYO Nationals and World Open in 1966. Second, of course at A.L. Nationals.

The 1966 would later be know as, and called the final building block

of the 1967 corps, the 67 corps is consider by many as one of the

Best Corps Ever. Great Corps, Great Year, Outrageous Drum Line!

Yes, 1966 "It was a very good year" for BAC

Edited by SKEK_SOP