a question

Fever_Euph_Beast

Pushups really don't help much with holding up a horn.

Try hanging a pair of shoes over the end of the bell and standing at attention for as long as you can.

If you get to the point where that's easy, move up to ankle weights over the bell.

(I've heard horror stories of Dan Farrell using this as punishment for Regiment euphs who couldn't keep their horns up.)

I agree on the pair of shoes over the bell. You probably already have shoes at home (if not, how are you planning to march?) and it works. Put them over the bell and hold the horn perfectly (horn angle up, shoulders down, etc.) and do your practicing that way. If you want, take it off near the end of your practice session to feel the difference.

Also, remember to never break. You get in shape faster, and I've noticed that people who do break a lot to start with have a hard time mentally stopping it. They may be able to hold a horn, but without thinking they'll take their hand off it every once in a while.

Oh yes, I've put wet towels on my sections' bells to get them into shape. I always told my baris to carry an extra pair of shoes to arc and to ensemble. I tend to be one of those guys that's a little more hardcore than most about angles and such. It's gotten me called a few names, like 'bell nazi'. But they knew it was helping them. The biggest barrier was a mental one, just not giving up on the little details and always going through the checklist in your head. When you can go through a checklist every single time you stand at attention and pay notice to those things, your posture and discipline will improve immensely.

very much a mental thing - at academy we used wrist weights, and a lot of group moral support - we're all in it together. one camp we did a circle of angles - stood in a circle, with our wrist weights, with horns up for ten minutes. we told jokes, sang songs, distracted from the horn pain. i find it's always easier when you're thinking about drill, difficult music, etc - ballads are always the toughest for me for keeping horns up.

I've never had a problem holding my horn, the trick is just ignore that there's a gigantic hunk of metal in your hands.

Oh, and huge arms do help ;)

Not that anyone should have too much trouble holding up a trumpet but if you do be careful with the weights. I've actually seen the bell of the trumpet get bent down because of an ankle wieght that was put on it. The braces on most trumpets are smaller and weaker than the ones on a lot of low brass instruments.

It's very much a mental thing yes.

I have seen some bari- euph in the junior corps i was in tape a hockey pock or 2 to certain places of their horn to build endurance.... seemed to work pretty well.

Usually when people panic because they are in pain, they breath differently (less) meaning less oxygen in their blood and their muscles, meaning the muscles can't fully do their work and it's even tougher to hold the thing. Carrying a big horn is all about endurance, positive attitude, and mental toughness!!! hehehe

B)