a question

Fever_Euph_Beast

we had willing players use ancle weights on there horn that can range from a 5 to 10 pounds, when i played baritone, i hated it just be cause i was twevle and couldnt hold the dang thing up, reasons for me going bigger im still tring to figure that out!

Edited by swtrojan

when I was at Vanguard, the vis staff would always ask us, "do pushups help you hold your baris up?" the answer "no"......"does holding your bari up help you hold your bari up?" "YES"

and their is camp this weekend and i wont be there....hey bartender, throw me a cold one.... :rolleyes:

Ok, for the record...

Doing push-ups, if done CORRECTLY, will strengthen your upper arm and shoulder muscles. They key is that you have to do them the right way (see below), and in sets. Doing fifty now, and fifty in two days won't do anything for you.

To do a correct push-up, you must keep your shoulders, back and legs in a generally straight line. Keep your head up, and lower your body until your elbows break the plane created by your upper arms and shoulders.

I reccommend doing them in sets of twenty, with the sets 60 seconds apart. You can also do pyramids (1, then 2, then 3, etc...up to ten, and back down) with the sets 30 seconds apart. As you get stronger, increase the number in your set, and the number of sets.

As someone who has played contra in DCI, euph in DCA, and tuba in the US Army, I'm sort of a subject matter expert here.

• 2 weeks later...
very much a mental thing - at academy we used wrist weights, and a lot of group moral support - we're all in it together.  one camp we did a circle of angles - stood in a circle, with our wrist weights, with horns up for ten minutes.  we told jokes, sang songs, distracted from the horn pain.  i find it's always easier when you're thinking about drill, difficult music, etc - ballads are always the toughest for me for keeping horns up.

We most certainly did not do 10 minutes. We did five max, and that was more than most of us could take......well, more than most of us euphs could take.