72 Kingsmen were not the best corps that year!

I was just thinking about that trip yeasterday!! I remember that was when I met Stanley K. Shouldn't say too much about that trip{statute of limitations may not have run out yet!) but that started a relationship between our corps that through the time aged out.

After we re-formed in 79,we bought your old Super Eagles from you when you guys bought brand new ones--Once again we gave SCV a ride in Birmingham in 80 after one of the new ones broke down. I remember everyone saying how they missed the old busses! :)

Yeah, those old buses were great because the top of the window "flap" could be opened when the A/C broke down, which was usually most of tour. And as for the "statutes of limitations", I know exactly what you're talking about because it gave me a HUGE headache for most of the ride! :sshh: Sign of the times you know, but a good thing that that has changed since then. B)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a member of the Kingsmen in 1972 I respect that someone from SCV would state their personal feelings. However AK had not met SCV or Blue Stars since the first weekend in July. AK went on a different tour to the East and SCV and BS was in the midwest. While SCV claims to have won the entire summer thats great, AK was kicking ### in the East, we won at CYO and US Open and every contest we entered. We always performed better under the lights when the field lights reflected into our Chrome Buckles and transformed us. Yes we won DCI that night in 1972. Those of you who attended the DCI Countdown in April need to realize that that persormance was of our prelim show not the finals we later won. Even we knew that we had to have the performance of our lives to win. It was said by others that if we lost DCI to either BS or SCV, our two titles and our entire tour meant nothing. For this SCV person to even mention the competion following DCI Finals is to give credability to a terrible venue in WEST ALLIS, WI. This was a daytime show at a state fair held on a dirt field that was 80% the size of a standard competition field. This field also was full of golpher holes ( where was Bill Murray back then?) We wanted to go undefeated on that tour but we had already won DCI in the rain and now to be on a dusty field marching in shortened steps was crazy. Thanks for everyone's appreciation of the Kingsmen. Look out, The new Kingsmen Star Corps is being organized by members of the glory years and has organizers not trying to make a buck for themselves as happened in years past. As a member of 1974 AK, we were the best at DCI, certainly not the entire year, we sucked in early June and finally pulled it together at DCI.

I know this is going to start a war, but the 72 Kingsmen were not the best corps that year. SCV went into finals undefeated! We beat the Kingsmen by over 3 points in prelims. I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win that night, we marched a terrible show! Bye the way in those days there were shows after finals and the next night we faced and beat the Kingsmen again. Sure goes to show how one crappy performance can skew history!

Paul

Paul,

You may want to restate the above "gut-level" feeling.

and

I kinda liked the results - kinda :angry:

A 1-2 tie would have been Sweeeeet :angry:

Mike Duffy

..and I'm kinda glad that a bunch of my 71 Diplomats got to march in 72 Kingsmen and claim that first --and deserved-- DCI title.

Kinda.

The 71 Dips Cymbal Squad went intact to 72 Kingsmen and you guys flat rocked!

All the rest of you, too! I couldn't be happier that I got to work with you and that you got to go on to be Champions.

Guess I trained a couple OK fer ya then, McDuff?

RON HOUSLEY

Kingsmen-Diplomats

& a couple others

Edited by ffernbus3

I second. All in favor, say "aye".... B)

To channel Ricky Ricardo:

"Ai, ai, ai!"

RON HOUSLEY

I agree.

Closed.