72 Kingsmen were not the best corps that year!

I know this is going to start a war, but the 72 Kingsmen were not the best corps that year. SCV went into finals undefeated! We beat the Kingsmen by over 3 points in prelims. I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win that night, we marched a terrible show! Bye the way in those days there were shows after finals and the next night we faced and beat the Kingsmen again. Sure goes to show how one crappy performance can skew history!

Paul

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is going to start a war, but the 72 Kingsmen were not the best corps that year. SCV went into finals undefeated! We beat the Kingsmen by over 3 points in prelims. I'm not saying they didn't deserve to win that night, we marched a terrible show! Bye the way in those days there were shows after finals and the next night we faced and beat the Kingsmen again. Sure goes to show how one crappy performance can skew history!

Paul

BD was undeated going into finals week in 88 and 95. Whats your point?

Thankfully, reputation and record take a back seat to the actual performance, meaning the judges really are paying attention. He admits they put on a bad show in finals. It doesn't matter who's the best corps most of the season, it matters who's the best corps on finals night. That's why they call it a "contest."

Mike

Paul

I've always had the upmost admiration for SCV. However, history, based on the FINALS score and placement of the 1972 DCI Championship, clearly shows the Anaheim Kingsmen as the top corps. As good as the '72 Kingsmen were, I have always felt the 1974 Kingsmen corps and program were far superior to the 72 offering. In fact, to this day I still believe the 1974 Kingsmen deserved the DCI title. They were just too good to have taken take third place! I just hope the "new" Kingsmen are at least half as good as they were during their glory years. Good luck, Anaheim Atlas!

One could argue, which we do here on DCP, that in any given year the DCI champion was not the best corps that year. They are the best corps that night as decided by the judges.

While I've only been to Championships a few times, generally I think the judges have made the right decision.

Many years it's been so close, it's really hard to say which corps is best. But the competition aspect is part of the activity. It's one of the biggest motivators for the members, the staff, and design team.

Whether Kingsmen were the best that year or not, you can't say they weren't a great corps.

I can identify with Paul's frustration to some extent. I've always felt that what happened to '72 SCV parallelled what happened to the '74 Scouts. In '74, we had the upper hand over SCV most of the season, only to lose to them at finals because of a semi-flat performance. But, heck, that is the way it goes and its what makes competitive drum corps exciting. As the old saying goes, "on any given night."

I heard you guys celebrated maybe just a bit too much after winning prelims.

So true!

I would like to add I never said AK wasn't a great corps or didn't deserve to win that night! IMO under the current system one bad performance wouldn't cost you a title, even if it was finals night and that's sad.

Let this be a lesson to all of you that still march. Never be satisfied. Your best show is your next performance. Take nothing for granted.

Edited by ptr250