Fav Color Guard

Who is the all-time fav color guard?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time fav color guard?

• Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Devils
    • Bridgemen
    • 27th Lancers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • SCV
    • Velvet Knights
    • Freelancers
    • Seneca Optimists
    • Blue Stars
    • Kilties
    • Crossmen
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Others

Nancy - I think I might be able to 'splain the SCV thing.

(since I'm older than you - neener neener!)

Back in MY day, which was even before YOUR day, and keeping in mind I was in an all male corps (WWBD!), SCV burst onto the pre DCI drum corps scene and lit the fields on fire!  They were new, oh so innovative, and the Bottle Dance was like the Troopers' Sunburst - it had NEVER been done before! 

Nobody had ever SEEN anything like this before!  (can any of you other geezers out there back me up on this?)

They literally STOLE the dominance of drum corps that had once been the exclusive purview of the East and Midwest, and my personal sense is that they changed the face of Drum Corps - in a very GOOD way - forever!

I can't comment on the execution part re guardwork, which I leave to you, my dear one, but in a GE sense SCV boggled the mind -

Does this make sense?

Also, concur strongly on Dan's endorsement of Anaheim Kingsmen - wholeheartedly!

Hi Robby....if you're talking about 69 & 70, around those years, I had already been spinning, etc. for about 5 years, they start us young in the east... :P Anyway, Troopers were always noticed by me, that's what made me want to continue and try to be the best I could be as a rifle....so yes, I remember guards of that era very well....maybe because the Troopers guards were sooooooo good, they dwarfed the rest for me as a lad?

And then there's the untouchable Kingsmen.....oh my...I truly died and went to heaven one night, they were in a very, very tight maybe pyramid formation or whatever, can we say double time and a stop that would have broken a catchers hand in his mitt???? ow owowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

So, I don't want you to think I believe that only the east had great guards, I believe that all guards after the early 70s were measured by the Troopers and Kingsmen....oh I loved the Troopers captain/s in all beige/white.......I wonder what year that was? 68, 69?? Earlier maybe?

Also, I believe when SCV came on the scene, like you said, they were different, no one had ever seen anything like them.....and vice versa.....but I'd have to say once again that the Troopers and the Kingsmen did it for me....a very different type of guard/technique, etc.

Edited by LancerFi

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can now die happy knowing that LancerFi and I are and always have been on the same page wrt drum corps, guard, and the whole DC scene..............

makes me wonder if an old school rifle and old school snare drummer would have produced genetically superior Drum Corps children with rhythm, timing, perfectionist tendencies, and blonde hair............

Now if I can only convince all those modern DC drummers out there that the old school snare drums were so superior in terms of sound, projection, and the serious need for rudimental expertise...............

Nancy - please keep me away from those nasty DCP political threads - that's all I ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes::whistle::music::rock::rock:

Edited by RobH

If the question is who was the best, there's only one answer, however there can be opinions about who your favorite is.....well BD.

You can flame away, however I in this case do know what I'm talking about.....so then best-=27, Favorite (because it can't be my own = BD and BD today as well.

I don't really get the fascination with BD's color guard, they were great back in the day, but as far as I'm concerned couldn't hold a candle to what you gals did! :rolleyes::whistle:

I mean I've watched many videos of them and they could march and they could twirl their rifles etc...but nobody, NOBODY could execute and perform like y'all could...I mean NOBODY. :music::rock:

I was in the horn line, so I used to watch the color guard in practice, but when I would get the tapes later on and watch y'all in the early days...oh man..I was in awe of 2-7's color guard....never sell yourself short Nancy. :rock::rock::beer: Y'all ROCKED! :wub::beer:

Oh yeah and Debbie Wedge told me the secret of how y'all practiced on catching those rifles so perfect. :wub:

Edited by Lancerlady

Nancy - I think I might be able to 'splain the SCV thing.

(since I'm older than you - neener neener!)

Back in MY day, which was even before YOUR day, and keeping in mind I was in an all male corps (WWBD!), SCV burst onto the pre DCI drum corps scene and lit the fields on fire!  They were new, oh so innovative, and the Bottle Dance was like the Troopers' Sunburst - it had NEVER been done before! 

Nobody had ever SEEN anything like this before!  (can any of you other geezers out there back me up on this?)

They literally STOLE the dominance of drum corps that had once been the exclusive purview of the East and Midwest, and my personal sense is that they changed the face of Drum Corps - in a very GOOD way - forever!

I can't comment on the execution part re guardwork, which I leave to you, my dear one, but in a GE sense SCV boggled the mind - but then my mind was a typical 16 year old snare drummer's mind - full of mush but thankfully also full of rudiments!  Oh, and the SCV guard to me were BABES! (ok I had the hormone thing going at the time, too!)!

Does this make sense?

Also, concur strongly on Dan's endorsement of Anaheim Kingsmen - wholeheartedly!

Being one of Rob's percussion cohorts-in-plaid in the early 70's, I will plead ignorance on the guard thing (it was all about the hormones for us, as Rob says--see above vote for Blue Stars' hot pants). However, I'll add another vote for AK's early 70's guard---downright scary.

As a fellow geezer I will definitely concur with Rob on the SCV mystique, with a qualifier: the Troopers actually had the "who are those guys" mystique first during the late 60's--due, I think, to several factors: unique identity, great execution, the never-been-seen (design) factor (sunburst, etc.), being from west of nowhere and rarely seen. SCV usurped a lot of that mystique when they hit the midwest in 1970 and beat everyone, including the Troopers (and us, of course). It actually started in 1969, when they already had most of the mystique factors going on (I remember the buzz in the stands in Racine when they came off the corner of the starting line in ARCS playing Procession of the Nobles in 3/4...).

Remember the Russian shows in '86 and '87, "Phantom of the Opera" (of course) in '88 and '89, "Carmen" in '90 and "Miss Saigon" in '91 (I thought the "Carmen" show featured one of their best guards ever).

Oops, I meant to type that the "Miss Saigon" show featured one of Santa Clara's best guards ever. "Carmen" wasn't bad, but I really loved the "Miss Saigon" show.

I don't really get the fascination with BD's color guard, they were great back in the day, but as far as I'm concerned couldn't hold a candle to what you gals did!  :rolleyes:  :whistle:

I mean I've watched many videos of them and they could march and they could twirl their rifles etc...but nobody, NOBODY could execute and perform like y'all could...I mean NOBODY. :music:  :rock:

I was in the horn line, so I used to watch the color guard  in practice, but when I would get the tapes later on and watch y'all in the early days...oh man..I was in awe of 2-7's color guard....never sell yourself short Nancy. :rock:  :rock:  :wub:  Y'all ROCKED!  :beer:  :wub:

Oh yeah and Debbie Wedge told me the secret of how y'all practiced on catching those rifles so perfect. :beer:

Would that be the eating so well while the corps rehearsed on tour??? :P :wub:

I'm kind of surprised that they put us up, only because most of the other corps are still around....and we can only be judged up to 1986....it's all good!

The reason they put you up is because any "best guard" poll without 27th Lancers in it is incomplete. Not only that, but it would be lacking one of the guards most likely to win that designation . . . regardless of how many years go by, or who's left! :rolleyes:

I can now die happy knowing that LancerFi and I are and always have been on the same page wrt drum corps, guard, and the whole DC scene..............

:rolleyes:  That's right, hard core all the way!!

makes me wonder if an old school rifle and old school snare drummer would have produced genetically superior Drum Corps children with rhythm, timing, perfectionist tendencies, and blonde hair............

:whistle:  But of course!  :music:

Now if I can only convince all those modern DC drummers out there that the old school snare drums were so superior in terms of sound, projection, and the serious need for rudimental expertise...............

^0^  And you mean SERIOUS Expertise!

Nancy - please keep me away from those nasty DCP political threads - that's all I ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rock:  I can only promise to try!

:rock:  :rock:  :beer:  :beer:  :wub:

Yep, on the same page.....

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: