Fav Color Guard

Who is the all-time fav color guard?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time fav color guard?

• Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Devils
    • Bridgemen
    • 27th Lancers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • SCV
    • Velvet Knights
    • Freelancers
    • Seneca Optimists
    • Blue Stars
    • Kilties
    • Crossmen
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Others

Ya know what this thread needs?

PICTURES! 

LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES - many haven't actually SEEN some of the great color guards of yesteryear, so in the spirit of "visual presentation" I'll start:

kiltiepics018.jpg

Hey Rob, I hate to ask this but how come all of YOUR pictures are of the Kilties???????? :rolleyes: :P j/k

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you won't hear any disagreement from me on that, St Mary's!

ODBC - because I got in contact with Moe Knox a few years ago and he got some for me - and I suppose I'm kinda biased - so, in keeping with my earlier request:

I WANNA SEE GUARD PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

Edited by RobH

Not only did I NOT march with 27, I DID march with cross-own rival Boston Crusaders. As such, I guess I'm kind of like Nixon going to China....when it comes to the folks from Revere, I can speak quite objectively.

Objectively, the best way to judge a color guard of any era is its effect on the audience. With that in mind, the Lancer guards from 79-81 were head and shoulders above anyone else. I recently showed a couple current corps members the 1980 Legacy DVD....27's guard, rifles in particular, blew their minds.

Yes, I think the West Coast guards were very good, and "laid back" is a term I would agree with. 27's guard had a viceral quality which set the standard in that era. Individual performance levels were incredible, coupled with George Zingali's pioneering use of hand flags and rotating forms....not to mention the 50 yardline feature each year.

I miss them even though they would be anachronistic in today's "jazz hands" world.

I also miss another rifle line, dressed in black, with white trim, and "Waldo" on the blouse.....spinning "Sader Time" during Conquest......no lack of intensity there either.....

I wanted to leave after 1978 and march my last 2 years as a BD rifle....I would have won 2 titles....

LOL - 2 national titles LancerFi, but not guard titles LOL. You would have been left empty handed to your friends back in Revea.

Yo - RobH - LUV those tubs aka, tri-toms. MY ERA !!!!

As for guards, hey folks - you're comparing apples to oranges. The philosophical diff between 27th's guard and everyone else's was simple. 27th featured it's assets, while SCV and others integrated their guard into it's total production. How much of 27th's GE score was a bleed over from guard - ALL OF IT !!!!!

Our rookie drummers always thought that the audience applause was for them during the Danny Boy wheel and forward march. As if........

If Zingali/Peggy/Denise/Stephen/Ann/Ralph heard a musical phrase and felt the earth move, shake, rattle or roll, they had the guard interpret it. We were never so lucky with our hornlines - who busted their chops to be competitve. The drumline was also usually strong - and thus featured more often.

Well, no one specified drum corps guard photos, LOL! :P

I'm especially proud of this photo. It's of the last guard I taught in '93 before retiring. I never was a rifle person, had only marched flag, and was scared to death of rifle. But I felt that we needed a rifle line in order to be more competitive. And frankly, I love rifles. They add so much intensity to the visual book! But I had to fight the band director I worked for on this, because he was a firm believer in the GE of big flag lines, and he didn't really see the necessity of having a rifle line. I finally talked him into it, and we had rifles the last four years I taught guard. But we couldn't afford another instructor, so that meant I had to teach rifle. Which meant I had to conquer my fear of rifle. I did . . . and off we went.

The first two years were full of growing pains. All these girls who had always wanted to march rifle were now faced with the reality of how much harder, how much more physically demanding it was, for the most part, than flag, and a few of them seemed unable to rise to the challenge. By the third year, they were much better, but then most of them aged out, and so I basically had to start all over again with a rookie rifle line, only one of whom had marched rifle the year before (and she wasn't even one of the stronger rifles). So, needless to say, I was concerned about how the '93 season would go.

Well, they surpassed all my expectations. They were the best rifle line I'd ever taught. In fact, the guard, overall, was the best one I'd ever worked with. I think part of it was because they knew it was my last year, so they worked hard to try to make me happy (I think in the hope that I would change my mind and stay). But they also had a very different work ethic from most of my previous guards. They were willing to go through the pain of learning and getting hit with this blunt object, to get to the point of mastering it. That's probably the most satisfaction I ever had as a guard instructor. And it was a good way to go out.

The reason I'm so pleased with this photo is because it demonstrates the kind of execution I was always working for with my guards, but couldn't always get them to achieve: If you look at the hands and feet, body positions, head positions, position of the rifle in the air, all are uniform. I'm proud to have played a small part in that. I didn't achieve that for them; the girls did it, themselves. But I'm glad I was able to help them do that. That's the joy of teaching!

guard.jpeg

you won't hear any disagreement from me on that, St  Mary's!

ODBC - because I got in contact with Moe Knox a few years ago and he got some for me - and I suppose I'm kinda biased - so, in keeping with my earlier request:

I WANNA SEE GUARD PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We (my hubby and I )bought some great guard pictures of 27 from Moe Knox as well, let me see what we can find! :) Are you wanting to see guard pictures from any year? And can you explain to me how you to post the picture on here? Do you hit the image? button? Doh? :sshh: :rolleyes: (I've never done it)

Edited by Lancerlady

And can you explain to me  how you to post the picture on here?

It has to be posted somewhere on a website. (Other boards have an option where I can post a picture from my own hard drive, but I don't think that's available here.)

So, if you find a picture you like posted somewhere (or if you have your own website where you've got pictures posted), just copy the URL (minus the http://), then click on the "IMG" link up above the posting field and paste the URL there, and then hit the "Add Reply" button, and your picture should show up.

first of all, i am not trying to start anything or jump on anyone, but it all depends what you call a national title.

before DCI and even during DCIs first few years there were several national shows.

since you included Kilties and Royal Aires i assume because they won VFW titles then you should also include 27th Lancers because they won World Open in 71 and 79 and also won Dream in 71 and CYO in 77 and 81.(these were big time national shows)

the Bridgemen also won World Open in 73,77,78,80 and 81 and Dream in 77 and 78.

these were all considered national title shows along with VFW and the US Open and  DCI.

so, all the winners from all those shows from all years could claim they won a national title.

we are not legends in our own minds because we did actually win a national title or titles!

DCI may be all there is left to win now but that was not always the case.

and i am proud to have been a World Open and Dream title holder! ^OO^

and i agree with what you said about your favorite guard being the one you worked, ate, slept and won with!  as you should!  :D 

but the guards from 27th did some awesome, amazing and very innovative stuff(sometimes for me that was the best part of their corps show, watching that guard) and this is a thread about favorite guards, so if others opinions are different than yours thats ok!

we all have our own opinion!  :)

BTW, my favorite guard is the one i marched with too!

World Open, Dream, were nothing more than East Coast regional shows! The true pre-DCI national championship was the VFW! Winning those shows were equivalent of winning Allentown today.

Sue - now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Great pic!

Lancerlady - go to http://www.photobucket.com and you can post pics there for free - it's simple (heck, even I could do it!) and you can then post pics at DCP using the "img" button - there's even an IMG part where your pic gets posted at photobucket - just do "cntrl c" across that IMG box when you've downloaded your photo there (it will save your "image" url) then when you want to post the pic at DCP, just hit the "img" box, a box will show up with an http:// then blank, hit "cntrl v" (which is a "paste") for the URL you want to post there (you might have to delete the http:// from the DCP img box first) and voila - PICS ON DCP!

NOW GET POSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And make sure LancerFi is in some of those pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by RobH

World Open, Dream, were nothing more than East Coast regional shows! The true pre-DCI national championship was the VFW! Winning those shows were equivalent of winning Allentown today.

Now Paul - you are showing your nearsighted-ness. You know very well that anyone that was anyone entered the World Open. It was truly "open" to any contestant. It was not an "east coast" invitational by any stretch.

YES - Dream was an invitational and typically won by NJ corps - 'cept for 27th in 1971.

As for CYO Nationals - that too was an invitational - but - CYO always invited the best corps in the world. It was a top notch show as long as everyone was available.

As for VFW - not every corps did make it to their Nationals, but it was regarded as the National title as long as the best corps were there.

And Allentown today in neither an invitational, nor an "open." It is truly a regional showcase for DCI's best corps.