some old corps photos

Yes, that was Tom. Here's a piece Drum Corps World did on him and his dog, Coy.

BD038.jpg

We were night driving from DCI West in Boise, ID, to an exhibition in Salt Lake City. He had a special van but wasn't driving that night. They side-swiped a truck that hadn't pulled all the way off the road and crashed. Both he and his dog (the two were inseparable) were killed instantly. Robbie Stratton (brother of Mel and Shirley) and the driver (the name escapes me at the moment) were injured but lived.

The nice part of the story is that we'd won DCI West the night before, including the Drum Caption for the first time that year. And the stadium had an elevator so Tom had been able to see the show from up top.

Wow. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Tom was a good guy, and he put me up at his place for a while when I was first in. God rest his soul.

Here you go Chris! I've always been very proud of this picture, taken for a local newpaper.

BD009.jpg

Hey, Lee.

Who's the rifle in the middle? I recognize you and Brenda Nelson, of course...

Freelancer shorts??? :grrr:

I remember them well.

I bet you gotta be over fifty to know what those initials stand for.

Well, at least close... LOL.

WHY do i have this suspicion he's an Odello?

Nope, not an Odello LOL! He's Robbie Kalkofen, son of percussion instructor Bob Kalkofen. I don't know if he ever ended up marching with BD. Anyone know where the Kalkofens are?

Here's the pic you remember, plus another.

BD019.jpg

BD020b.jpg

Hey, Lee.

Who's the rifle in the middle? I recognize you and Brenda Nelson, of course...

Freelancer shorts??? :grrr:

The girl in the middle is Sue Bolender.

And what's wrong with Freelancer shorts? Go California!!! :P

Thanks for the high praise, Sue!

You're welcome, Lee! Thanks for posting that amazing rifle picture (same as the one in your avatar). Man, that's the stuff I miss nowadays! :grrr:

Oh, and the pix of the little guy are pretty cute, too!

Like Sally, I loved those gauchos in 1980. They added such a classic elegance to your body work, and also (as you noted) whenever you did a high mark time.

I see that you were a part of the transition to the bodysuit-style uniform in 1981. I remember reading that that was an extremely difficult transition for BD's guard, and met with a fair bit of resistance. True? I have to say that while I can understand the reaction, from a personal level, when I saw the new uniform in Louisville that year, I found it stunning. It made you all look 10 feet tall, somehow (and you did some amazing things, in terms of body work, with the white sleeve contrasting with the black one). And then, of course, "the look" took off and was something many other guards, both field and indoor, emulated. What was trailblazing at that time became almost commonplace within only a few years.

Edited by byline

Yeah....kinda like holding a long tone at a soft volume is MUCH harder than blasting the same note and parting hair.....or standing in a file doing rifle tosses, looking like a machine....it;s not the difficulty, it;s the execution.

Exactly!

Thank you Sally. Our 1980 uniforms were always my favorite! (We called the bottoms "gauchos" btw). They looked so cool when we did a high leg mark time!

BD003-1.jpg

:grrr:

I loved how they swirled when you turned around...a skirt, but not!

Thanks for the photo!

Here you go Chris! I've always been very proud of this picture, taken for a local newpaper.

BD009.jpg

*THAT* is perfection!

Ooo...Ahhh!