1 Guardsmen 68.000

2 Cavaliers 65.300

3 Kilties 64.050

4 Oakland Crusaders 61.650

5 Wausau Story 56.900

6 Velvet Knights 47.600

7 Royal Crusaders 46.300

Garry in Vegas

Thanks Gary. I also found pictures of Minn. Brass, Chicago Connection, and these ones of I believe Florida Vanguard from the same show.

floridavanguard.jpg

floridavanguard2.jpg

floridavanguard4.jpg

I know this is not the same guy as the one in the reunion photo but he look like it.

crusaders19.jpg

That's none other than Mark Firth, Oakland's head drum major in '77 and '78.

For you drummers out there check this snare set up.

kilties6.jpg

Ah, yes, the Great Experiment of the 1978 Kilties. By the time first tour was over they were back to a traditional battery.

What a lot of changes that corps went through that year. Complete drum book rewrite, lots of music and drill changes (remember Billy the Kid??), new uniforms, girls in the corps, George leaves right before final tour. It is a testament to those kids and the staff that they made finals.

WOW! There's ME!! The snare drummer right next to Jim "Rock" Brockrogge... the big snare drummer. Still friends to this day with him. Man I love it when a new picture I've never seen shows up! Thanks so much DPE!!

I remember the first time I saw Guardsmen in 1978....We used to kid that the big snare drummer looked like he was playing on a coffee can! I think the shako made him look even bigger than he was!

jim

Did someone say "The Best Drum Major Ever?"

Her name was Maria Costa!

MariaCostaDM.jpg

Had the coolest uniform, too!

MCOnTheField.jpg

What a commanding presence she was!

Puppet

Here's a few I found of SCV rehearsing in 1978. Sorry the snare line photo is a bit blurry but I like the photo. Also, look at the number of people watching them rehearse in the last picture.

scvrehearsal2.jpg

scvrehearsal3.jpg

scvrehearsal4.jpg

scvrehearsal5.jpg

scvrehearsal6.jpg

Here's a few I found of SCV rehearsing in 1978. Sorry the snare line photo is a bit blurry but I like the photo. Also, look at the number of people watching them rehearse in the last picture.

Wow, we don't often get to see rehearsal photos. These are fantastic! :laugh:

Interesting that they rehearsed with their gauntlets on. Though it makes sense, especially in the guard. You need to have those uniform components on duirng rehearsal so that you know how they feel and don't get any nasty surprises during a show about how they may interfere with work. Of course, ideally we would've rehearsed in full uniform, but then you have to deal with excess wear and tear on the uniform, not to mention the sweat and BO issues that you'd have to contend with; it's hard enough to keep uniforms clean, as it is, without adding rehearsal issues.

Edited by byline

Those pics look like a performance of some kind (gauntlets, matching t-shirts). Can anyone confirm?