some old corps photos

Contras wearing shakos…

CONTRANIMALS.jpg

Looks quite natural to me

Puppet

Gawd, I remember that pic from before I marched. I remember it being in DCW YEARS ago.

Thanks, Tom, for posting those 82 VK pics. That was the day of the infamous "hosing of the Knights." How they went from 72.65 at DCM (7/24) to 61.3 at Whitewater (8/6) is beyond explanation. I'd still like to know who had it "in" for Knights. Were they afraid they'd become a Midwest power?

Jan and I were looking at recaps of both shows the other night. Funny how at Whitewater, Swain on MM/VA and Elvord on GE/Brass were the only ones who had scores comparable in same sub-captions from DCM. (Colla VA and Unrath GE/B @ DCM) Everyone else dumped them. Not by tenths, but by points. Yet their next show was back at pre-Whitewater levels. Unfortunately, no matter how much your staff tells you that it was an irregularity, it has to affect you.

At that Whitewater show, a second-year-back VK scored 65.05. The Knights, having the best year in the history of the corps, got that 61.30. VK went on first that day, too, and finished 18th. Knights went on 12th and finished 23rd. At DCI pre-lims, VK was 21st and Knights were 15th.

Garry in Vegas

Thanks, Garry. VK actually went on Friday afternoon, with Alliance, Colts, Pride of Cincinnati and Imperial Guard, after all the A class corps had done their thing and Dutch Boy had wiped everyone out. Avant Garde was the first corps on Saturday morning.

But yeah, 61. Most of the vets I marched with told me they'd never forget it. It was obvously politically motivated, based on someone's hatred of the family running the corps. A friggin' shame.

Shirley always seemed upbeat, but strict; her highs were highs and her lows were lows! Her daughter, (Kathy?) was also a judge and seemed more brutal...but all in all, the Whitcombs were cool!

We started a winter guard association long ago. Our first evaluation show was January 1980. Over the next 7-8 years Shirlee and/or others had attended the evaluations to assess our guards. This was before we took the 13 hour one way trip to Seattle, for instance, over mountains, on a long weekend, to attend a winter guard contest we never went to before and then rush back 13 hours to go to school. Shirlee and others helped us alot and we were grateful. :whistle:

edit for spelling

Edited by lindap

BD CONTRAS WITH SHAKOS???? Who approved THAT??

*looks so wrong...*

I'm wondering if that could be wrong. A friend of mine marched Scouts contra in 77 and BD in 78 and I have distinct memories of visiting with him in 78 and he was wearing a beret.

Shirley always seemed upbeat, but strict; her highs were highs and her lows were lows! Her daughter, (Kathy?) was also a judge and seemed more brutal...but all in all, the Whitcombs were cool!

Cant say I have the same warm memories for her. Whitcomb was our personal black cloud in 77 and 78 (Scouts)

She wasn't a fave rave 'round Geneseo way either. Our M&M guy at Miami said, pointedly, "One thing's for sure: I'm never speaking to Shirlee Whitcomb again."

do you have any front sideline shots of blue devils 1978? the soloists perhaps?

Here are two I took from the stands during Prelims at Boulder. Not so great but it definitely gives you the feeling of being there.

BD782.jpg

BD781.jpg

I think it was on this forum where I read that SCV '88 started out the season wearing black capes (for Phantom of the Opera) which were scrapped either during first tour or just after.

Does anyone have a picture of the corps with the black capes?

Velvet Knights Color Guard - Orange County CA. Fair July 1978

VK-OCFair183a.jpg

That's Trish Sapien second from the left. I believe that's my skinny arms two over from her with the flag in my face. ? Kim Mosier next to me. Lynne Gerber is at the end

VK-OCFair147a.jpg

Yup. Looks like me right behind the side arms. Anita Zozaya-Smith is fifth from the right.

CG Captain is Sandy Turner

Nancy