some old corps photos

I see.. so he IS indeed holding just ONE cymbal (glove and all!) in his left hand and riding on it with his right hand. Wow... well, if you want a job done right, you gotta do it yourself!! :lol::laughing:

J/K of course...

Well, Steve, bless his heart, knew we would be tired by then, so he naturally gave of himself...he practiced that exagerated arm angle for hours too. You try it. :lol:

Chuck Boblenz (sp?). He played 22" that year....Tad Carpenter, Pete Romo, Chuck Boblenz and myself. Great line. :lol:

Mike, do you mean Kurt Gaulbatz? We used to massacre his name just to see him squirm... or was he playing bass by then?

Edited by esch

Mike, do you mean Kurt Gaulbatz? We used to massacre his name just to see him squirm... or was he playing bass by then?

We used to call him Kurt Wallsplatz ... :huh:

Naw, he was plaing bells by than...he played number one bass in 73, if I remember correctly...

Not to mention the drum heights,,,perfect! :thumbup:

Pre-harness days too. There are slings under their tunics. Somehow, SCV figured out how much better percussion looked with straps, belts, carriers, harnesses, etc. UNDER the uniform rather than screwing up the look of the uniform with a huge fiberglass brace on top.

so, Mike... what IS the deal with that picture? Awesome picture of arguably the best snare line there may have ever been right there, but IS the snare drummer holding the cymbals? Or not? It sure looks like he is, and I know that frequently back in those days it wasn't unusual at all for one of the snare drummers to do tambourine, cowbells, to turn out and do some "hi-hat" type thing while the other snares played.

If that guy is NOT holding the cymbals, that photo is indeed one of the best "optical illusion" shots I've ever seen... :tongue:

In 1978, I met Darryl Cox, as Guardsmen and SCV were at a few shows together. I chatted with him briefly as he was practicing some stuff off by himself. Small talk, etc., but then I asked what he was practicing and he said his I&E solo ("Individuals" as it was called back then) ... I got a kick out of the fact that he said "to be honest with you, I'm just making it all up as I go along out there anyway, so I don't know why I'm practicing it." :smile::smile::beer:

OK, if you look really close at the photo (hey, what else is a lapsed snare geek supposed to do at work? :thumbup: ) you can just see part of Chorazy's (sp?) left forearm behind the cymbal.

More snare drummer trivia for those of us from lesser lines who revered this line: Anybody (Mike?) know the origin of the dropped left shoulder (we used to call it the "SC tilt"), which you can see on a couple of the guys? We just assumed it was done to get the LH into the correct position, but always found it interesting that only some of the line did it, given how visually uniform this line was. Don't recall any other lines doing it either. Maybe just a "do whatever you gotta do" thing, and as good as these guys were, I'd let 'em do whatever too....

Apologies for dragging this thread further O/T. I'll try to find more photos to make up for it (more MSARP anyone? :beer: ).

What is amazing is that one picture of SCV from 33 years ago can still generate 2 pages of discussion.

However in the interest of getting back on topic here are two photos of the Freelancers taken at Cerritos College in L.A. in 1980.

At least I think it's the Freelancers.

Freelancers80.jpg

Freelancers802.jpg

Those look like North drums. Anybody know for sure?

Edited by SoundmanG

Is the guy on the right end carrying that cymbal?? I suppose he could be doing a ride on the underside, but that sure looks like his left arm holding the plate....

The key here is....Look where the thumb is. It's someone elses right hand next to the snare drummer.

What is amazing is that one picture of SCV from 33 years ago can still generate 2 pages of discussion.

However in the interest of getting back on topic here are two photos of the Freelancers taken at Cerritos College in L.A. in 1980.

At least I think it's the Freelancers.

Freelancers80.jpg

Freelancers802.jpg

Those look like North drums. Anybody know for sure?

Yes that is the Freelancers, and those are North drums. I wonder whatever happened to those?