some old corps photos

Enough chatter. PICS!!!!

A few VK Snare (& single tenor) pics.

Vintage 60's (I think that's Ralph Hardimon near the middle)

Vintage60sVK-1.jpg

Parade in Compton, CA. 77

VK-ComptonParade041A.jpg

Rehearsal in Denver 77

77_VK_Snares.jpg

DCI Prelims (?) 78

VK-DCI-Prelims224.jpg

Camp rehearsal in 78

VK103A.jpg

1979 show warm up

Vk-Snares009a.jpg

Vk Snare Line 80-81 just before the transformation to the classic 80's VK

VK-SnareLine80s241.jpg

Vintage 60's (I think that's Ralph Hardimon near the middle)

Vintage60sVK-1.jpg

VK-ComptonParade041A.jpg

Rehearsal in Denver 77

77_VK_Snares.jpg

DCI Prelims (?) 78

VK-DCI-Prelims224.jpg

Camp rehearsal in 78

VK103A.jpg

1979 show warm up

Vk-Snares009a.jpg

Vk Snare Line 80-81 just before the transformation to the classic 80's VK

VK-SnareLine80s241.jpg

Greg, which of the VK snareline pics are you and Dave Devlin in?...I see a few that I think are you and him but I'm not sure. Also isn't that Greg Wilson in the one without the shirts in the shades 2nd from the right?

Greg, which of the VK snareline pics are you and Dave Devlin in?...I see a few that I think are you and him but I'm not sure. Also isn't that Greg Wilson in the one without the shirts in the shades 2nd from the right?

Ok Dave try and keep score here :thumbup:

Dave Devlin is not in any of these photos.

In the Compton Photo I'm on the far right.

In the B&W Denver photo I'm between Greg Wilson and Jerry Garcia. Scott Kubitz is on Jerry's right.

In the 79 photo I'm 2nd from the right.

Here are a couple of photos from 76 with Me & Dave in the line. This was Dave's only year in the VK. We may have only been 4 strong but we weren't too bad given our size.

76VKElToro4.jpg

VK76Drumline.jpg

VK-ComptonParade041A.jpg

Rehearsal in Denver 77

77_VK_Snares.jpg

sorry for the snip...brrr...it's cold up here this week...these 2 photos are nice...thanks...btw, please say hi to Ralph for me:-)

edit; good golly, um, forgot to say...happy holidays :)

Edited by lindap

Couple of other notes about these pics. The 78/79 snares in the silver cortex, and the 80/81 (actually, that's the 82 snareline, I think) snares in the white cortex are the same drums recovered. Their last season was 1984 when we painted them turquiose. But that's what you did in the old days. Budgets didn't allow for buying new drums very often, and sponsorships weren't anything like today.

Wish I could name all the snares and tenors in the 69 pic. Far left snare I can't recall, but the second is Doug Massey, the third looks like Bruce Bonney, and the fourth is Vernee Grecny (remember that thread about female snare drummers?). The first tenor is Ralph Hardimon, and one of the others may be Steve Munsey.

Garry in Vegas

Here are a couple of shots I have of VK from 78. Not great shots but there are some drummers in these shots.

vk78-2.jpg

vk78-3.jpg

So I have a question for you guys in CA. There seems to be a lot of names in the VK drum line pictures that also were in some of the great Kingsmen drum lines. Was that common for guys from VK to leave and go to AK? I know they were close in geography, and I understand the origin of the Kingsmen & VK, but in the Northeast (at least when I marched in the 70s) is was the exception not the rule for people to leave a corp for a better corps, never mind as many as I see from VK to AK.

Just curious.

Couple of other notes about these pics. The 78/79 snares in the silver cortex, and the 80/81 (actually, that's the 82 snareline, I think) snares in the white cortex are the same drums recovered. Their last season was 1984 when we painted them turquiose. But that's what you did in the old days. Budgets didn't allow for buying new drums very often, and sponsorships weren't anything like today.

Wish I could name all the snares and tenors in the 69 pic. Far left snare I can't recall, but the second is Doug Massey, the third looks like Bruce Bonney, and the fourth is Vernee Grecny (remember that thread about female snare drummers?). The first tenor is Ralph Hardimon, and one of the others may be Steve Munsey.

Garry in Vegas

Wow. I had no idea Ralph was ever in the VK. I guess "you learn something every day"...