some old corps photos

A few of the Kingsmen 1978

78kingsmen.JPG

78kingsmen2.JPG

78kingsmen4.JPG

WOW!...great new shots!.....any more Kingsmen 76 thru 78 out there?...Our alumni would be eternally grateful! :)

I agree, Dale. Sometimes, corps forget that the look that's most distinctively a corps' own is what identifies them as they come onto the field. Oakland certainly forgot that in 1980. *sigh*

The corps that took the smartest approach to uniform design, IMO, updated their traditional look without making a radical stylistic departure from it.

I completely agree with both of you on this topic. I think modern corps have really gotten away from distinctive uniform designs and this has hurt the corps. Cadets are certainly an exception to this.

Based on this photo (Lyons, Colorado) and the tape on the harness I guess that is Steve. What I can't figure out is there appears to be five tenors in the bottom picture. I don't ever remember the 70's VK having 5 Tenors...but pictures don't lie.

VK.jpg

Vk-TriToms024a.jpg

Dane, Steve Sanke, ?, Steve Smith

Hey Greg - As scary as it sounds, that "might" be me. The worst part though is that was my line and I can't remember his name either. It might be Vince, but I'll have to look it up I've got the 79 yearbook in a box somewhere and they all signed it for me. He was one of the valley guys that came with Dane.

We did have 5 for awhile but I had to cut Thom Richardson of all people. He was by far the most talented, but he couldn't commit to rehearsals. Obviously the 2-3 years he was the section leader for the BD tenor line he made that commitment, but he couldn't do so in 79 so Dane took is spot.

That picture might have been in Lyons and Mike DeAngelo was instructing and eventually marching the tymp line after he lost one of the guys to an appendicitis 2 weeks before prelims. I liked playing in the line from time to time so I could hear what they were hearing too. I felt sorry for Mike though. Imagine going from the Muchacho tenor line in 74 and 75 and ageing out with all those guys to marching 3-4 shows including prelims as a VK timpanist. Probably not how he envisioned his year going when Teddy added him to the staff :) At least the entire corps voted to let him march knowing he was overage. It's not like we had a lot to lose. You should have been at a couple of the critiques. Nobody said anything specifically to him about it but they all looked at him like.... wait a minute, aren't you a little old to be marching? LOL, but nobody called us on it formally.

Here's a picture I took from the bus on the way home from Birmingham, AL that year of a billboard someone placed right off the side of the highway. Just goes to show you that not ALL people in the south shared the political views that some wanted the whole country to believe they did :)

carter1.jpg

I completely agree with both of you on this topic. I think modern corps have really gotten away from distinctive uniform designs and this has hurt the corps. Cadets are certainly an exception to this.

I think that Cavaliers and Phantom have also done a pretty good job of maintaining their uniform's tradition while updating it.

Hey Greg - As scary as it sounds, that "might" be me. The worst part though is that was my line and I can't remember his name either. It might be Vince, but I'll have to look it up I've got the 79 yearbook in a box somewhere and they all signed it for me. He was one of the valley guys that came with Dane.

We did have 5 for awhile but I had to cut Thom Richardson of all people. He was by far the most talented, but he couldn't commit to rehearsals. Obviously the 2-3 years he was the section leader for the BD tenor line he made that commitment, but he couldn't do so in 79 so Dane took is spot.

That picture might have been in Lyons and Mike DeAngelo was instructing and eventually marching the tymp line after he lost one of the guys to an appendicitis 2 weeks before prelims. I liked playing in the line from time to time so I could hear what they were hearing too. I felt sorry for Mike though. Imagine going from the Muchacho tenor line in 74 and 75 and ageing out with all those guys to marching 3-4 shows including prelims as a VK timpanist. Probably not how he envisioned his year going when Teddy added him to the staff :) At least the entire corps voted to let him march knowing he was overage. It's not like we had a lot to lose. You should have been at a couple of the critiques. Nobody said anything specifically to him about it but they all looked at him like.... wait a minute, aren't you a little old to be marching? LOL, but nobody called us on it formally.

Here's a picture I took from the bus on the way home from Birmingham, AL that year of a billboard someone placed right off the side of the highway. Just goes to show you that not ALL people in the south shared the political views that some wanted the whole country to believe they did :)

carter1.jpg

There was a Vince in the line...

I think that Cavaliers and Phantom have also done a pretty good job of maintaining their uniform's tradition while updating it.

I would agree with you on Cavaliers. I think they have done a good job with their uniform modifications for the most part. Phantom has too to a lesser degree in my opinion. Another midwestern corps that has done a good job with their uniforms is Racine Scouts.

Looks like 12 drums to me from that shot.

Puppet

Cue the rim shot!