some old corps photos

DrumCorp.jpg

1980 North Star in Cary, North Carolina

Thanks Puppet. I'll get a lot more on here later.

I remember that show - those woods in the background had the biggest wasps and beetles I've ever seen.

coltcbs83.jpg

The 1983 Colt contraline. Note section leader and soon to be Colt drum major, Bart Miller, on the left, acting gay and making fun of my side of the line, which for some unknown reason, was supposed to be funny back then. The guy all the way to the right was actually gay and died of AIDS a few years later. Look carefully to see my reaction to the whole carnival that year. Although we did take 22nd with a score of 60.6, it was a tough year. I hope the present day Colts appreciate all the work that the riverboat boys did to get them to where they are today.

Edited by BigDale

coltcbs83.jpg

The 1983 Colt contraline. Note section leader and soon to be Colt drum major, Bart Miller, on the left, acting gay and making fun of my side of the line, which for some unknown reason, was supposed to be funny back then. The guy all the way to the right was actually gay and died of AIDS a few years later. Look carefully to see my reaction to the whole carnival that year. Although we did take 22nd with a score of 60.6, it was a tough year. I hope the present day Colts appreciate all the work that the riverboat boys did to get them to where they are today.

So you had white hair before you went salt and pepper? Is that kind of gay, too? And why was your gay contra guy not in the guard like all the rest. And why were they called gay? What is gay? What did they call the gay girls - girls? I'm rather confused about all this - wasn't there don't ask, don't tell?

Puppet

So you had white hair before you went salt and pepper? Is that kind of gay, too? And why was your gay contra guy not in the guard like all the rest. And why were they called gay? What is gay? What did they call the gay girls - girls? I'm rather confused about all this - wasn't there don't ask, don't tell?

Puppet

OK. I am second from the right. We did not know he was gay when he marched, not that it mattered anyway--he was the best player in the line. He was a real Garfield fan, which to us was really...

Not sure if you are serious or trying to be funny, but no humor is intended here. At all.

TECBS.

coltcbs83.jpg

What ???????

Puppet

I'm right there with you Puppet.....confused.

How does one act gay? Can gays act straight? Are contras only gay? I hope it's ok that I have friends that I love and respect that are gay - but I don't call them out here - or any where else. Let his soul rest in peace. Maybe I am missing something? Maybe the post should be re-worded or deleted...

What ???????

I'm right there with you Puppet.....confused.

How does one act gay? Can gays act straight? Are contras only gay? I hope it's ok that I have friends that I love and respect that are gay - but I don't call them out here - or any where else. Let his soul rest in peace. Maybe I am missing something? Maybe the post should be re-worded or deleted...

ok (lower case to indicate subservience) it was a joke - a bad joke - a run on the gay thing. Sorry. Some of the guys in my day thought that because the guys in my section were kind of geeky that we were (insert word here)

3-4thsoftheMellophoneLine-1.jpg

- I'm going with "Out of focus!" of course back then there was another word which describes both genders of a sexual bent. And seriously (and politically!) I think that until they both unite under that one "H" word they will continue to go at cross purposes for themselves. We, and I mean that as Black Americans, are still living with that one - ever taken a survey? "Are you Black, not Hispanic?/ African American or "what?" Heck, there are Governor's of Alaska who think that Africa is a country! There are 62 independent countries on that continent at last count.

It was a joke. Sorry. Did I say it was a bad joke?

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

ok (lower case to indicate subservience) it was a joke - a bad joke - a run on the gay thing. Sorry. Some of the guys in my day thought that because the guys in my section were kind of geeky that we were (insert word here)

Puppet

No problem. It was an early 80's thing I guess, funny at the time, but sort of stupid in today's terms. The midwest wasn't too "pc" back then, at least in NE Iowa. Again, look closely to see my reaction to the entire thing.

3-4thsoftheMellophoneLine-1.jpg

- I'm going with "Out of focus!" of course back then there was another word which describes both genders of a sexual bent. And seriously (and politically!) I think that until they both unite under that one "H" word they will continue to go at cross purposes for themselves. We, and I mean that as Black Americans, are still living with that one - ever taken a survey? "Are you Black, not Hispanic?/ African American or "what?" Heck, there are Governor's of Alaska who think that Africa is a country! There are 62 independent countries on that continent at last count.

Puppet

I have an on-going conversation with my daughter (college student - studying linguistics (and math), and with the customary college convictions) about the change in what is politically acceptable. Her assertion is that the group in question (whether it be race, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever) will settle collectively on a word that is acceptable, and then society or whatever begins to use that word in a derogatory manner, so they will move on to another word. Then there is the whole argument of why do you need a word at all, except that when we talk about well, describe whatever - it's easy to demonstrate how cumbersome a conversation can be if you try to avoid any type of label whatsoever.

It's my belief that we can't get past these issues until we get past linguistic gamesmanship, and always having people on edge about "am I using the right word?" or whatever. The more we claim there is no difference but continue to draw lines of distinction the more polarized we become. Perhaps if the "collectively accepted term" is embrace, and any derogatory use of the term is rejected because of the intent rather than word selection, then we can move on. I could be wrong on this, but it seems, if I read what you say here correctly that we are in agreement - though what I have written may be poorly stated.