some old corps photos

Here's an old photo of my former corps, SF Cathay D&B Corps.

We're still trying to confirm the date of the photo, but the best guess right now is cica mid 1930's.

CathayPost1930.jpg

:rolleyes:

Thanks and I like your website :-) ...2 for you from a 1977 winter guard program; Barons, Milpitas, CA & Imperial Dragons, Los Angeles, CA

1977-barons.jpg

1977-concord2.jpg

Geez, I thought there was some rule preventing automatrons from marching. IF not why not?

Next thing you know they will want want electronics.

All girls corps tended to be creative :-) The key could also help counter-balance the heavy bells?

I recently found a 1976 program. In it lists a contest in Brantford, Ontario August 8, 1976. In attendance were Les Chatelaines, Mello-dears, Bandettes, New Day, Royal Mounties, Belles of St. Marys, St. John's Girls, Jean-ettes, Socialites and Fire-ettes. Fire-ettes took high drums and M&M; Jean-ettes took high bugles and St. John's Girls took high GE. 1st place to Fire-ettes; there was a tie for second place.

St. John's Girls hosted a drum corps contest most years in the 1970's. It was considered one of the big contests in the all girls circuit.

I joined a girls corps in 77. Photo is from July 1974 at the World Cup Soccer Championships.

They flew home, toured via buses July 23 - August 26 and watched finals in Ithaca, New York.

I have a 1974 audio recording, very melodic and creative. We got CDs at our reunion 2006.

That's all I'll post for now 'cause I also found my 1974 U.S. Open program :rolleyes:

1977-aag.jpg

A photo at our 2006 Alberta All Girls reunion; L-R, Debbie H. 1971-1977 AAG snare line and 1980-81 winter guard, Debbie G. 1970–1976 AAG snare line and 1985-89 Board of Directors, Val Z. 1972–1977 AAG bass drummer, winter guard 1977 and 1981. Debbie and Debbie are active members of our alumni and Val is a teacher in California.

Scan0001-a-2.jpg

Edited by lindap

Don't forget the wool uni's. Not sure what SCV material was, but we had wool tops.

I'll tell you, it was this gawd awful polyester "stuff" that did not breath at all...I marched in a modern uniuform and will take those any time!

Thanks and I like your website :-) ...2 for you from a 1977 winter guard program; Barons, Milpitas, CA & Imperial Dragons, Los Angeles, CA

1977-barons.jpg

1977-concord2.jpg

Wow! Where did you get that pic of the the South Bay Barons? They were actually a drum and bell corps when I competed with them. I was in the San Jose Rebel Kadets drum and bell corps. Drum and Bell corps were very popular in Northern CA and were excellent "feeder" corps for the "big guys."

Cathay refers to China. It's an old term. It may, or may not refer to a specific region of China, that I'm not sure of.

Regards,

John

Cathay is the Anglicized version of "Catai" and an alternative name for China in English. It originates from the word Khitan (Chinese: 契丹, Qìdān), the name of a nomadic people who founded the Liao Dynasty which ruled much of Northern China from 907 to 1125, and who had a state of their own (Kara-Khitan Khanate) centered around today's Kyrgyzstan for another century thereafter.

Cathay

Garry in Vegas

I'll tell you, it was this gawd awful polyester "stuff" that did not breath at all...

Yup, we had that too. Bleh!

Cathay is the Anglicized version of "Catai" and an alternative name for China in English. It originates from the word Khitan (Chinese: 契丹, Qìdān), the name of a nomadic people who founded the Liao Dynasty which ruled much of Northern China from 907 to 1125, and who had a state of their own (Kara-Khitan Khanate) centered around today's Kyrgyzstan for another century thereafter.

Cathay

Garry in Vegas

I have said it before and I will say it again---DCP is a wealth of information. Who would have thought that information like this would relate to drum corps. Thanks for sharing.