some old corps photos

Yeah baby! my corps. A couple of years before my time. Any idea what year these pics are from?

looks like Optimists on the right side of the retreat pic.

All three were taken in Sarnia at Norm Perry Park.

Regards,

John

We were at a contest at Norm Perry Park July 12, 1969, start time was 7:00 p.m. According to my notes we won over Opti-Knights at the Festival of Bands but Midlanders won over us earlier that day in London, Ontario.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...67&st=13300 (scroll half way down)

The corps on the left side of the retreat pic could be Guelph Royalaires or Conqueror or De La Salle Oaklands before they got new uniforms. They all wore white or cream coloured uniforms, looked good at night shows :-)

Sarnia Sertomanaires

sermanaires-1.jpg

I love all the people standing on the roof!

Yeah baby! my corps. A couple of years before my time. Any idea what year these pics are from?

looks like Optimists on the right side of the retreat pic.

All three were taken in Sarnia at Norm Perry Park.

Regards,

John

John,

You are correct, those were taken in Sarnia.

I am sure the photo with the people standing on the roof was taken at the Chemical Valley Festival in Sarnia on June 18, 1964.

(As was this one below of the DM's, and also that Marching Angels guard photo on last page)

Pretty sure the other two (trooping the stands and retreat) were from the same show, if not, they were from the 1965 show.

sarnia64-1.jpg

Left to right, DM Jim Esbaugh of Scout House, DM Andy Henderson of Optimists, Miss Lynn Plewes, Miss Chemical Valley Penny Hungle, DM's Larry Williams and Darly Reagon of Sertomanaires

Edited by fleabag

I was thinking the corps on the left of Sertomanaires was Del, but wasn't sure if they were still in the cream unis. I knew it was Royalaires or Conquerer because senior crops wouldn't have been at the show. Later pics posted confirm that thought.

The neat thing about growing up in Sarnia for me was I lived two blocks from the hall Sertomanaires, Lionettes and Angels shared. In 64 I was 6 years old at the end of the summer and just able to go off the block. Guess were I was every night of the week; down the street watching one of the three drum corps practicing. It was like a magnet to me. By the time I was 12 I learned enough drumming just from hanging out, then going home and practicing everything (mom loved it, really) that I could have stepped into the line - if I wasn't so small. Ended up in the colour guard, then horn line before I was big enough to carry a drum.

The other neat thing was three shows every summer (plus the obligitory parade) because each corps had to sponsor a show. Actually some summers there were more shows because a show had to be sponsored under the Canadian Drum Corps Association rules and another under the Great Lakes Drum Corps Association rules - for each corps. Sertomanaires and Lionettes were in both circuits, not so sure Angels were in both.

The show these pics were taken from would have been from one of the CDCA shows because Del and Optimists wouldn't have come to a Great Lakes show since they weren't members of the GLDCA. St. Clair Shores Vanguard, Glassmen, Marauders and Saginaires would have been in the pics otherwise.

[quote name='sarnia sam' post='2676907' date='Oct 11 2009, 08:09 PM']I was thinking the corps on the left of Sertomanaires was Del, but wasn't sure if they were still in the cream unis. I knew it was Royalaires or Conquerer because senior crops wouldn't have been at the show. Later pics posted confirm that thought.

The neat thing about growing up in Sarnia for me was I lived two blocks from the hall Sertomanaires, Lionettes and Angels shared. In 64 I was 6 years old at the end of the summer and just able to go off the block. Guess were I was every night of the week; down the street watching one of the three drum corps practicing. It was like a magnet to me. By the time I was 12 I learned enough drumming just from hanging out, then going home and practicing everything (mom loved it, really) that I could have stepped into the line - if I wasn't so small. Ended up in the colour guard, then horn line before I was big enough to carry a drum.

The other neat thing was three shows every summer (plus the obligitory parade) because each corps had to sponsor a show. Actually some summers there were more shows because a show had to be sponsored under the Canadian Drum Corps Association rules and another under the Great Lakes Drum Corps Association rules - for each corps. Sertomanaires and Lionettes were in both circuits, not so sure Angels were in both.

The show these pics were taken from would have been from one of the CDCA shows because Del and Optimists wouldn't have come to a Great Lakes show since they weren't members of the GLDCA. St. Clair Shores Vanguard, Glassmen, Marauders and Saginaires would have been in the pics otherwise.[/quote]
Thanks for sharing the memories. The contests were fun, good drum corps from the City of Sarnia (produced a few good hockey players too).

We'd take the subway to watch Del practise at the College; I'd ride my bicycle to Lakeshore to watch Optimists practise; a subway and bus ride to see the Michael Power Knights which became Etobicoke Crusaders; and subway and bus to get to my drum corps practise in Scarborough. I was raised downtown Toronto, moved to East York in 68.

I moved to Kitchener-Waterloo September 74, had a place on King Street on the border of the twin cities; saw lots of drum corps. During my post secondary school years, I worked with a few corps in the area. I remember going to a few rehearsals of a drum corps in K-W with alot of young people. They had a horn line that was bold, loud, powerful with an amazing sound. It was Kiwanis Kavaliers.

Not great quality but here's a couple of St. Iggys.

iggys82-2.jpg

Sometimes I look at a photo and get thinking...I'll ask questions...a little help from drummers please :-)

What drum stick grip is that in this photo? Is it matched? It's not the grip as Alberta Girls snare line. I'm curious.