some old corps photos

1972 The Big Ten, September 2 1972, Hamilton, Ontario, hosted by Hamilton Jaycees.

18 corps in prelims, 10 in the evening finals, 3 more scans for a total of 18 prelim corps

(16) Golden Lions, Simcoe, Ontario (the field looks like a baseball diamond?)

72big10-16.jpg

1972 The Big Ten program, September 2 1972, Hamilton, Ontario

(18) Ambassadeurs, Gatineau, Quebec

72big10-18.jpg

I like this photo ‘cause it reminds me of when I joined the flag section in drum corps. I learned to skate shortly after I learned to walk. Saturday evenings we’d watch 2 of the original 6 play hockey on TV. In the 70’s we’d have drum corps contests in the summer and during winter, the guys would have a friendly game of hockey. We guard girls had a league of our own, a fun game of hockey in figure skates.

Last night I watched the first episode of “Battle of the Blades” on TV where NHLers team up with world class figure skaters. It was televised at the Gardens where we had watched a game or two decades ago. This morning I went to Battle of the Blades website and found a video clip called “Boot Camp”. It was held at De La Salle College Oaklands arena. What a coincidence! Sorry ‘bout going off topic.

1972 The Big Ten program, September 2 1972, Hamilton, Ontario

(18) Ambassadeurs, Gatineau, Quebec

72big10-18.jpg

This photo reminds me that the CG used to use aluminum poles with strapped cupholders (not sure of the correct term). This changed sometime in the late 60's or early 70's at least in my corps when the the girls got in the first batch of fiberglass poles. The poles were much lighter but not very strong. When they brought the flag pole down in a snappy move and hit the ground, the poles began cracking and breaking. It was the funniest thing I think I ever saw. They tried pole after pole but each one splintered. Needless to say these were sent back to the manufacturer and we kept using the heavier aluminum poles for the rest of that season.

Hey, Mr. bag!

Besides the now established fact that I have a really old and failing memory, I'm just #### happy that my little old not-gonna-beat-anyone-even-if-we-were-the-only-corps-to-show-up drum corps has been posted here a couple of times!

(thanks for the reminder, though!)

Linda's repost gave me the idea/opportunity to send a link to this topic to a few more old Derry folks that I have caught up with in the last couple of years.

Joe was a great guy to be around, especially when he wanted to talk about the 'old days' - I still have a folder of his hand written scores in the closet. No computer music programs back then - maybe I'll scan them in and post them somewhere for posterity.

John,

I guess you knew Karen Stitt, Tom and Anna Mrozenski, Jim and Allen Freemen, Andy, Mark and Craig Niezelski, Tammy, Terrie and Diana Downey and on and on....

I don't think so, but if I come across any, I will post!

Yes, I remember the Westshoremen people coming in - I seem to recall that because it was late in the year I remember Ricky Lee and Chumley playing in the pit in 84 and Chumley moved to toms in 85, I believe. I could not march those two years :sad: so I assisted teaching the drumline when my schedule allowed, mostly the pit.

jim

Thanks, Ricky Lee and Chumley/Ben were the two I was thinking of and both post on DCP now and then. I rode with Westshores drum truck so got to know the drummers fairly well. Think I heard after Westshore broke up they went to a Buccs practice to check on joining for the next year. Next thing they knew, they were in the Buccs for the next show. :worthy:

Oh course everyone knew those two.... :tongue:

Just about to log on and do my once yearly "this is the greatest thread with the greatest selection of accumulated Drum Corps History anywhere" and just click through a couple of hundred pages of reminding myself why when I noticed that many, many photos early on in the 200-300 range are no longer there for one reason or another. If you haven't gone back in a while you will see a stunning array of shots of Garfield (Holy Name, etc) through the decades. But alas, there are some awesome shots of the Kingsmen Guard that are no longer there - for posterity's sake, here's a link to that Moe Knox site where many of those shots came from. The poise, toughness and beauty of the Kingsmen Women probably one of the most photographed and photogenic of their time

Here's the link:

http://xkingsmen.com/MoeKnox2/

also, just a reminder - if you were around in early '05 and before and had posted some photos to this thread, once you move them from you photobucket (or whatever service you use) they will be gone from here forever. And most of the comments regarding become pretty much gibberish without the accompanying photos. History buffs like myself enjoy the photographic trip down memory lane and more newbies should have a place to look at what went on in this activity before we all turned to Dinosaurs. With almost a million and a half views of this thread and over seventeen hundred pages of posts and replies this is history in the making right here.

All props to the OP, yonnenana! :worthy::tongue::sad:

Thank you.

Please continue your reverie!

Puppet

John,

I guess you knew Karen Stitt, Tom and Anna Mrozenski, Jim and Allen Freemen, Andy, Mark and Craig Niezelski, Tammy, Terrie and Diana Downey and on and on....

......yes...... :sad:

as well as Gregg Sweney, the Birds, Bells, Harry Heiple, Timmy Hans, Bert, Marty, MaryBeth, Georgianne :tongue:, etc.... ..........................who in the hell is this????????

I'm either about to be pleasantly surprised, or completely embarassed. :worthy: