some old corps photos

Byline:

Dan Fleming marched in Dutch Boy Cadets and Northstars in '76 and 77-78, how do I know this? Because I marched with him for all his marching years in Kitchener, Ontario. He was one of our back field drum majors in '78!!!

Nice guy and he has a cute sister too!!!!!

I think she marched in Ventures!!

Sorry I missed your reply earlier. Yup, Dan and I hung together out a lot, especially in '79. I'd forgotten about his sister, though. He marched horn (soprano?) with Oakland in '79, and then at some point I thought he was a back field drum major for Oakland, too. But I may be remembering that wrong. What he really wanted to do, as I recall, was march guard. In '80 (unfortunately, I have no pictures for that year; my parents didn't go to any contests, and I didn't take any), we had a mixed guard, and Dan (along with several other guys) got to march guard. That was a lot of fun!

First tour in '80 was weird, though. All the guard members were stuck on horns, because we didn't have enough horn players to fill all the slots in the drill. It was kinda hard to get pumped up for shows, just to be a plug. No guard, no drum major. I wonder if any other corps has done that. The drill got written down for second tour, the guard was put back in, we marched in those gawd-awful uniforms (the only existing photo I know of was in the DCI yearbook), but we still had no drum major. Wild year . . . yet I had more fun on that tour than the previous two years. Go figure. . . .

I saw Dan at a WGI show in the early '80s, marching winter guard with . . . who, Northstars? He played Elvis, white jumpsuit and all! (I remember that he was a big Elvis fan, so I wonder if he played a part in the writiing of that show.)