some old corps photos

carter1.jpg

I remember that sign. I thought it was on a barn next to one of the rest stops we were at (maybe there was more than one sign in that area).

My big regret was forgetting to bring a camera that year.

VK001.jpg

I don't recall if it was Tim Moxley or Greg Clark's idea... but those flag poles were telescoping pool poles. The idea was that we could change the look with a twist of the wrist. Trouble was that as the poles aged slightly, they started getting more and more difficult to keep in the extended position. It went more like spin/pause/tighten/spin/tighten. Ugh!

I don't recall if it was Tim Moxley or Greg Clark's idea... but those flag poles were telescoping pool poles. The idea was that we could change the look with a twist of the wrist. Trouble was that as the poles aged slightly, they started getting more and more difficult to keep in the extended position. It went more like spin/pause/tighten/spin/tighten. Ugh!

Nancy, Greg Clarke wasn't with us in 79 was he? I don't recall seeing or hearing of him until 1980.

You need to play my drum corps trivia game on facebook dear!

and yet some more, I hope y"all not getting bored with these...

There is no such thing as getting bored in this thread !! Please, carry on !!

Nancy, Greg Clarke wasn't with us in 79 was he? I don't recall seeing or hearing of him until 1980.

You need to play my drum corps trivia game on facebook dear!

Greg came out part time to do the winter guard in 78 which was the exhibition year that Charlie Groh and Merc and Derf were the main characters in The Wiz. Greg went back to Bridgemen and marched his age out year in the summer, and the most of them came out to live full time and go on tour with us in 79, the exception being Mike McCool who decided he didn't have a burning desire to ride the buses that year since the staff van got taken away after the 78 season :( If I remember right, the guard and M&M staff that year was Tim Moxley, Sharon Rikee and Greg Clarke, with Merc just being there for the winter guard.

Greg came out part time to do the winter guard in 78 which was the exhibition year that Charlie Groh and Merc and Derf were the main characters in The Wiz. Greg went back to Bridgemen and marched his age out year in the summer, and the most of them came out to live full time and go on tour with us in 79, the exception being Mike McCool who decided he didn't have a burning desire to ride the buses that year since the staff van got taken away after the 78 season :( If I remember right, the guard and M&M staff that year was Tim Moxley, Sharon Rikee and Greg Clarke, with Merc just being there for the winter guard.

Greg, I honestly do not remember Clark on tour that year. I recall Moxley and Rikee and Kevin Roberts, yourself, Mike and Teddy, Bill Turner and the african american guy with the brass but cannot recall his name...

The Midlanders were a great corps... Many great musicians came out of there.

Sam Kays and Al Murray marched snare together. Beginning of a long gruesome twosome.

77yearbook-1-1.jpg

Sam & Al 1976 while teaching Seneca Optimists drumline

Midlanders were good. We competed together late 60's and early 70's. This picture is how I remember Sam and Al. Drum corps folks got together in Toronto. There was a house; outskirts of TO. Russ and I taught Dutch Boy Cadets and went to parties at the house. There were people from Midlanders, Optimists, De La Salle, Seneca, etc. Sam would start playing on the set drums, Ron M picked up the trombone or baritone, Ron C the flugle, and then all would jam. I heard some great improvised music. Next day was drum corps rehearsal. I didn't know until a few years ago that Sam was a drum instructor for Alberta All Girls, that Sam and Al marched Anaheim Kingsmen drum line 74 and were instructors for Seneca Optimists 76. Thanks for the photo Wendy.