some old corps photos

Now that I've got my new toy to play with, let's roll!! This first set of pictures comes from the 1964 Dream. As it was physically impossible for me to attend (I was -2 years old at the time), I don't know the identity of most of the corps in these pictures. If anyone can help me out, I'll be able to label them in my own files.

Dreamb_zps72c36ddc.jpg

Dreamc_zpsa66968ed.jpg

Dreamz3_zps3e8140ea.jpg

Looks like Vasella Musketeers, St Lucy's and St Kevin's for these 3.

Time for some New Jersey drum corps history...

19762_zpscb3e8354.jpg

The Imperial Knights - Midland Park, NJ, 1976. One of the forefathers to the corps that ultimately became Fantasia III. 4 future DCI Champions marching in this corps.

FranklinLakesParade5_zps0b201c46.jpg

SuffernParade8_zpsa1e61ca3.jpg

More Imperial Knights...now it's 1977. For the smaller corps back then, our big competitive arena was the winter standstill circuit. In the NJ/NY/PA area, it was the American Heritage Circuit, and we just thought it was the greatest thing a-goin'!

197711_zpsde58bf7d.jpg

19778_zps3683c154.jpg

19775_zps70b97cf6.jpg

1977 was also the year that the Imperial Knights decided to jump into the deep end of the pool & put a corps on the field instead of simply doing parades and competitive standstills. Our first ever field performance....the 1977 World Open.

77WorldOpen2_zpse4e45ab1.jpg

77WorldOpen3_zps648efd4a.jpg

77WorldOpen6_zps74e53022.jpg

What a great place for a first-ever show!! As a 10-year-old kid, walking into the Manning Bowl felt like I was walking into the Roman Colosseum!!! The coolest thing was that even after countless trips to the Manning Bowl with various corps over the next 15 years, the feeling never changed!

Other sights from the '77 World Open:

BAC

77WorldOpenBAC_zpsdb141171.jpg

Crossmen

77WorldOpenCrossmen1_zpsce6e8490.jpg

Pick out Hopkins & Hannum in the snareline (they're in there)

77WorldOpenCrossmen2_zps17009cc2.jpg

Can't have a big show without a good retreat

77WorldOpenRetreat_zpsd86f180d.jpg

Some pictures from 1979 DCI Prelims. The upper deck at Legion Field was a great vantage point for some beautiful shots.

DISCLAIMER: Absolutely none of these shots was taken by yours truly (I'd find a way to screw up a selfie!). My dad was the family photographer, and he went to every DCI I was at until about 1995. He loved camera gadgets, and had a wonderful photographic eye.

And away we go....

27th

7927_zps5107201e.jpg