some old corps photos

Thanks GrewvyG2. We were Scarborough Princemen from early 1972 to August 1972 when Seneca College sponsored us (news traveled slow in those days) From August 1972 to late 1975 we were Seneca Princemen. I was DM, Donna was GC 73. Cool photo and it looks like we were in step good golly thank goodness :smile:

fb-grover-1973_zps82348be7.jpg

Edited by lindap

Thanks GrewvyG2. We were Scarborough Princemen from early 1972 to August 1972 when Seneca College sponsored us (news traveled slow in those days) From August 1972 to late 1975 we were Seneca Princemen. I was DM, Donna was GC 73. Cool photo and it looks like we were in step good golly thank goodness :smile:

fb-grover-1973_zps82348be7.jpg

I was in the stands watching you guys in Marion that day, Linda!

You can see members of the Finleyville Royal Crusaders waiting in the background, to come on as the next corps.

It was later that night that the infamous deluge hit at finals, postponing it until the next afternoon.

Edited by Northern Thunder

You can see members of the Finleyville Royal Crusaders waiting in the background, to come on as the next corps.

It was later that night that the infamous deluge hit at finals, postponing it until the next afternoon.

One of my artifacts states Seneca Princemen's 1973 repertoire as Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Slaughter on 10th Avenue, Auld Lang Syne, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Impossible Dream. Another says our 1973 repertoire was Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Norwegian Woods, Something, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Day by Day. Man of La Mancha was our signature piece. I remember enjoying conducting Norwegian Woods and Something during concert and singing Day by Day. The photo may be of Pomp and Circumstance colour presentation, also known as color-pre.

I'm slowly reacquainting with former corps members via Facebook or my preferred method of face to face. I'll confirm our repertoire with others before submitting to corpsreps.com

I viewed fromthepressbox.com yesterday August 10-11 1973. Anaheim Kingsmen were in 21 spot at prelims lineup, Seneca Princemen 22 spot and Finleyville Royal Crusaders 23 spot.

In recent years I learned that many Alberta All Girls staff had marched in or taught Anaheim Kingsmen, some Seneca Princemen continued as instructors or corps directors and Royal Crusaders may have done the same. Those that marched continued to contribute to the activity. Therein lies the legacy. As for the deluge, we may have been traveling home, we didn't make finals that was on August 12 1973 which was over 40 years ago (wow). Nice to meet you Brian and thank you :smile:

I sat on the bleachers near the starting line. It was starting to rain so Dick Hoppe took our tickets to sell he next day. We stayed a the downtown fire hall that year.

One of my artifacts states Seneca Princemen's 1973 repertoire as Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Slaughter on 10th Avenue, Auld Lang Syne, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Impossible Dream. Another says our 1973 repertoire was Man of La Mancha, Mercy Mercy Mercy, Norwegian Woods, Something, Amazing Grace, Pomp and Circumstance, Day by Day. Man of La Mancha was our signature piece. I remember enjoying conducting Norwegian Woods and Something during concert and singing Day by Day. The photo may be of Pomp and Circumstance colour presentation, also known as color-pre.

I'm slowly reacquainting with former corps members via Facebook or my preferred method of face to face. I'll confirm our repertoire with others before submitting to corpsreps.com

I viewed fromthepressbox.com yesterday August 10-11 1973. Anaheim Kingsmen were in 21 spot at prelims lineup, Seneca Princemen 22 spot and Finleyville Royal Crusaders 23 spot.

Hi Linda!

Funny thing about repertoires. The one I have for '73 Princemen is basically a combination of what you have listed. Did the corps change the music at any time during the season? I don't have a recording from that year, so I'm not positive what it was.

Regarding Anaheim Kingsmen at '73 U.S. Open.....they were scheduled to appear a day earlier, but got caught for hours behind a traffic accident in western Ohio (they weren't involved). The announcement was eventually made in the stadium that the Kingsmen would be penalized for lateness. Luckily the Salina, KS Silver Sabres didn't show up for their prelim slot before the Princemen, so Anaheim was slotted in there. They were still able to make finals (and won), despite the 13 point penalty.

Thanks for all your input and photos. Keep 'em coming!

I was there too! Part of the traveling "groupies" for Finleyville as a matter of fact...love that they're in the pic

The deluge...oh. my. Water running down the alley between the field and the school was so deep it was over the curbs...My Mom had aspirin in her purse in those single dose packs and it dissolved...We got back to the Holiday Inn in Delaware (I believe) and it hadn't rained a drop there and we looked like Ark refugees walking into the lobby...

Edited by gak27

I was there too! Part of the traveling "groupies" for Finleyville as a matter of fact...love that they're in the pic

The deluge...oh. my. Water running down the alley between the field and the school was so deep it was over the curbs...My Mom had aspirin in her purse in those single dose packs and it dissolved...We got back to the Holiday Inn in Delaware (I believe) and it hadn't rained a drop there and we looked like Ark refugees walking into the lobby...

I still have water-spotted corps buttons from that night in Marion. The water was ankle-deep in the streets outside the stadium.